- Stuart MacGill’s trial delayed
- Due to his alleged role in a $330,000 cocaine transaction
- Five men should be tried for alleged kidnapping
The trial of a group of men suspected of kidnapping Stuart MacGill from outside his Sydney home has been delayed after the former great actor was charged with drug offenses.
A group of men – Frederick Schaaf, Richard Schaaf, Elijah Schaaf, Marino Sotiropoulos and Vaeluagaomatagi Feilo – were scheduled to appear in district court beginning October 23.
All have pleaded not guilty to their alleged role in kidnapping Mr MacGill outside his Cremorne apartment in April 2021.
All five men are expected to face trial after Mr MacGill was allegedly taken to a property in Bringelly, in Sydney’s southwest, where he was allegedly assaulted, threatened with a gun and demands for money were made.
It was alleged the incident was linked to a drug deal gone wrong, the court has previously heard.
4. A kidnapping trial involving Stuart MacGill has been delayed
Five men accused of kidnapping cricket legend
Mr MacGill was reportedly detained for an hour before being taken to Belmore where he was released and allowed to board a taxi.
In September, MacGill, a former Test great, was charged with involvement in large-scale cocaine trafficking worth $330,000.
Detectives arrested Mr MacGill, 52, at Chatswood police station, where he was charged with knowingly taking part in the large-scale commercial supply of drugs.
Mr MacGill was granted conditional discharge and is due to appear in Manly Local Court for the first time on October 26. He has not yet entered a plea.
Downing Center District heard on Wednesday that Crown prosecutor Emma Blizard had requested that the alleged kidnappers’ trial date be canceled because Mr MacGill’s proceedings were not yet finalized in the local court.
“Are you suggesting to me that the proceedings involving Mr MacGill in the local court are so distinct from this matter, that his trial should be heard – given that we are talking about August 2024 at this stage – even before “We will embark on a trial against these defendants,” said Acting Judge Graeme Henson.
Ms Blizard asked for the case to be adjourned until January so that “more can be known” about Mr MacGill’s affair.
It was delayed because of MacGill’s alleged role in a cocaine deal.
The only opposition to the cancellation of the trial date was heard from attorneys for Elijah Schaaf, who remains in custody on denied bail.
The case was further complicated because a USB stick, which contained a Cellebrite download from Mr MacGill’s phone, had “disappeared” after being “lost” by police, a lawyer acting for Richard Schaaf told the court.
Mr Justice Henson resisted calls for the trial to be postponed until Mr MacGill’s proceedings were finalised, noting that if the cricket great were to go to trial it might not be until October of the year next.
The case will return to court in November to set a new trial date, with Judge Henson also agreeing to change the bail conditions for Richard and Frederick Schaaf.