A popular winery and TAFE university has been added to South Australia’s list of exposure locations as the state isolates thousands from two separate superspreader events
- seppeltsfield Winery in Barossa Valley and a TAFE in Adelaide sites of concern
- The number of sites of concern in the state is rapidly approaching 100
- Thousands now in quarantine as South Australia enters its third day of lockdown
- SAs virus cluster may be linked to a man, 81, who recently arrived in Australia
- He is from Argentina and quarantined in Sydney before traveling to Adelaide Adelaide
The list of Covid-19 exposure sites in South Australia continues to grow, raising fears of more virus cases as authorities grapple with the latest outbreak.
The number of locations of concern is heading towards 100, with the Seppeltsfield Winery in the Barossa Valley and a TAFE university in Adelaide being the latest to join the list.
The growing number of locations has meant that thousands of people are now in home quarantine with requirements to undergo three virus tests as the state enters the third full day of its week-long lockdown.
The so-called Modbury cluster stands at 14 confirmed infections, after two more were reported on Thursday.
But Prime Minister Steven Marshall says he remains very grateful that the state went into lockdown on Tuesday, as waiting any longer could have been catastrophic.
Seppeltsfield Winery in the Barossa Valley (pictured) has been named as one of South Australian’s list of growing Covid-19 exposure sites
The number of worrisome Covid sites in South Australia is heading towards 100 (Pictured Ridgehaven workers are being tested on Thursday)
“I am still extremely hopeful that we can stop the spread of this disease during the seven-day lockdown period,” he said.
“This is a tough challenge, but the way we are doing it in South Australia is by working together.
“Locks undoubtedly have a heavy burden on our economy, but we have to weigh the consequences if we just let this happen.
“From day one, our mantra has been to go fast and go early.”
Thursday’s two new cases involved a brother and sister in their 20s who visited the Tenafeate Creek winery, north of Adelaide, last weekend.
Seven cases, including a child under five, have now been linked to the location, which is believed to be one of two super spreader events.
SA’s second super spreader site is the Greek restaurant in the city, where a number of infected people dined last Saturday and an employee has since tested positive.
Chief Public Health Office Nicola Spurrier said the two new cases had been isolated since Monday night, but their movements would lead to more exposure sites being identified.
She said 91 people were connected to The Greek and 125 to the winery during the periods of concern and they were all placed in hotel quarantine.
The growing cluster has led to a huge increase in the number of tests with 17,592 swabs taken on Wednesday, a record for a single day in SA.
SA Prime Minister Steven Marshall praised residents for their patience, before emphasizing that the mantra was to ‘go fast’ to minimize the spread of the virus (pictured, a man in a mask walking past the Adelaide Convention Center)
The Prime Minister apologized for the long delays at test sites and understood that some people were frustrated that they had to wait many hours.
But he said authorities are working hard to increase capacity and he hoped waiting times would decrease significantly on Friday.
SA’s virus cluster has been linked to an 81-year-old man who recently arrived in Australia from Argentina and was quarantined in Sydney before traveling to Adelaide, where he tested positive.
Genomic tests have confirmed the man got infected in Sydney, not Argentina.
As the lockdown continues, police have begun handing out fines for those breaking the rules with six people at a party in Port Lincoln on Wednesday night, all with a $1092 fine on the spot.