Scott Morrison urged workers to sign up for aid payments
Australians who lose their jobs can get pandemic disaster pay of up to $600 in 40 minutes if they apply online, Scott Morrison said on Wednesday as he urged people to sign up for the cash aid.
The Prime Minister said $200 million in aid payments have already been paid to Australians across the country who were unable to work.
About 14 million Australians are locked up in South Australia, New South Wales and Victoria due to outbreaks of the highly contagious Delta strain of the disease.
At a press conference on Wednesday, Mr Morrison starred into the camera, addressing Australians who struggle to get food on the table.
He said payments of $600 for people who lose more than 20 hours and $375 for people who lose 8-20 hours would continue as long as the lockdowns last.
“Those payments go into your bank account and you can count on that,” he said.
‘You don’t have to reapply. You do have to worry about it. There are plenty of other things that I know you should worry about, I don’t want you to worry about that.
“So the payments will keep popping up every week that the lockdowns continue.”
Morrison also revealed that he is “constantly appealing” health experts to recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine to younger Australians.
In April, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunization said the vaccine was only recommended for people over 50 because of a low risk of blood clots in younger people.
In June, the body raised that age to people over 60, eroding confidence and delaying the rollout of the jab as the government pushed to get more Pfizer into the country.
Anyone over the age of 18 can get the AstraZeneca shot if they sign a consent form and Mr Morrison urged them to do so.
My message to Australians today is please take the vaccines that are now available to you.
‘Discuss them with your doctor. That’s what happened in my family. Jenny received her second dose of AstraZeneca last week.
‘Both my mother and my mother-in-law – they both did the same thing. I would say the same to you as I would to my own family.’
Morrison said he wanted ATAGI to change its advice to recommend the vaccine for younger people given the outbreaks.
“It’s a constant pull. I can assure you. It’s a constant pull,” he said.
“The situation in Australia must be managed on a risk basis, as ATAGI has told me in the past.
“When they made the decision to limit or favor the Pfizer vaccine for people under the age of 60 ultimately, they said they made that decision about risk balance.
“Well, it’s up to them now to constantly reconsider how that risk balance applies and to advise accordingly.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Mr Morrison suggested the percentage of Australians who need to be vaccinated to end the coronavirus lockdown is 65 to 70 percent.
In a radio interview on Wednesday morning, the prime minister said the stunted rollout of the jab – which has vaccinated just 14.09 percent of people over 16 – was not the cause of 14 million people being told to stay at home. to stay.
He said the country would always have needed severe restrictions this winter because even if the rollout went perfectly, not enough people would be stung.
Sydneysiders line up at New South Wales Health’s mass vaccination center in Homebush to get their shots
Sydney residents are only allowed to play sports in groups of two during the lockdown. Pictured: Locals on Bronte Beach
When asked whether the lockdowns were the result of his government’s handling of the jab’s rollout ‘wrongly’, he said: ‘No, I won’t accept that. No, I’m sorry, I won’t accept that.
“There was no plan, there was a plan that said we would have 65-70 percent vaccination coverage in this country,” he told FiveAA radio in Adelaide.
“Australia would always be in the suppression phase this year.”
NSW Prime Minister Gladys Berejiklian has said 80 percent of the population or 62 percent of adults will need to be stung before she can stop resorting to lockdowns in her state.
Western Australia Prime Minister Mark McGowan has said the required rate is “at least” 80 percent and possibly 90 percent.
Morrison insisted that the Delta variant, not the slow rollout, was responsible for the crippling lockdowns across the country.
Australia now brings in a million Pfizer doses per week. Under 40s are expected to be eligible for the jab by the end of September. Pictured: Sydney Homebush’s vaccination hub
“The virus writes the rules. Delta species is what has affected New South Wales, Victoria and sadly now South Australia,” he said.
“We need to use the tools we have to suppress that to protect people’s health and preserve our economy. So that continues.’
Earlier this month, Morrison announced a four-step plan to bring Australia back to normal, with each step to start when vaccination coverage reaches a certain percentage.
In the next phase, expected early next year, lockdowns will not be necessary, but international arrival limits will remain in place.
The required vaccination rates are calculated by model experts at the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity and will be released at the end of July.
The UK lifted all Covid restrictions on Monday and about 66 percent of the population is fully vaccinated. The country suffered 46,558 cases and 96 deaths on Tuesday.
When asked whether Australia will need to prick more than 65 percent before opening, Mr Morrison said: ‘Well, we’ll see what the scientific evidence is on this. We’ll match that with the economic advice we get through the various treasuries and of course our federal treasury.
‘And we also look at the capacity of the health care system, because that is another important factor. Because if you look at managing hospital admissions and things like that, you look at the strength of your hospital system.’
Mr Morrison admitted that ‘we’re not all right’ about the vaccine rollout. Pictured: Residents in lockdown at Bondi Beach