Australia’s second one-day international against the West Indies has been suspended just after the toss after reports a staffer tested positive for Covid
- Australia’s second ODI against West Indies in the Caribbean has been halted
- One of the host’s backroom workers is said to have tested positive for Covid-19
- All staff in the cricket bell are placed in isolation for safety
Australia’s second one-day international against the West Indies in the Caribbean has been postponed in bizarre circumstances before a ball could be bowled after one of the host’s backroom staff tested positive for Covid-19.
The teams had been named, the captains had clashed and Australia was poised to strike at the Kensington Oval in Barbados on Thursday when the proceedings were dramatically halted.
Amid the unexpected delay, the International Cricket Council then announced in a statement on Twitter that the match had been halted.
Australian players left Kensington Oval after suspension
“The 2nd ODI between the West Indies and Australia has been suspended with immediate effect due to a positive Covid-19 case,” the governing body said.
“All personnel within the bubble will be placed in isolation.”
The West Indies confirmed that the positive test had been given by ‘a non-playing member’ of their staff, explaining that the result was not known when the preparatory formalities took place.
“The established Covid-19 protocols require all members of both teams and match officials to return to the team hotel immediately and be retested later in the day,” a statement from Cricket West Indies said.
“The 2nd ODI between the West Indies and Australia has been suspended with immediate effect due to a positive Covid-19 case,” the governing body said
“They remain in isolation in their hotel rooms until the results of their PCR test are back.
“A decision on when the match will be replayed will be made at a later date, once all test results have been confirmed.”
Australia had won the opening game of the three-game series on Tuesday.