Twelve residents of a retirement home have been rushed to hospital after testing positive for Covid-19 during the Delta outbreak in Sydney.
An aged care worker at the Wyoming Nursing Home in Summer Hill in Sydney’s inner west first tested positive for the virus on July 27.
The partially vaccinated worker, who was asymptomatic, is said to have brought the virus home from the community.
A spokesman for the home – also known as Hardi Summer Hill – said 80 percent of its 65 residents and 75 percent of its 60 employees have been fully vaccinated.
The elderly care outbreak came as New South Wales registered 239 locally acquired cases on Sunday – a joint pandemic record for new infections in the state in a single day.
Scroll down for video
Twelve residents of the Wyoming Nursing Home in Summer Hill in Sydney’s inner west have been rushed to hospital after testing positive for Covid-19 during the city’s Delta outbreak
“Twelve residents have been identified as positive for Covid-19,” a Wyoming Nursing Home spokesperson said.
“They were taken to hospital as a precaution and both the employee and her close contacts are now in isolation.”
The house is closed to all visitors and the residents still in the house are in self-isolation, the spokesman said.
Expert infection prevention and control personnel, infectious disease personnel and clinical personnel are on site to ensure adherence to strict infection control procedures, including appropriate personal protective equipment to ensure the safety of residents and staff. statement.
NSW Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr. Jeremy McNulty announced on Sunday that several cases have been identified in aged care facilities, affecting Australia’s most vulnerable age groups.
“There are a number of aged care facilities in the city that have been affected, with infected staff and residents,” Dr McNulty told reporters.
New South Wales registered 239 locally acquired cases on Sunday – a joint pandemic record for new infections in the state in a single day. Pictured are Sydneysiders at Bondi Beach on Sunday
“We regularly see cases in hospitals or aged care facilities, and we’ve even had some facilities for the disabled.”
dr. McNulty said the infection is spreading through a facility in the inner city of the city, but most of those who have tested positive so far have been vaccinated.
“There has been an outbreak at a retirement home in Summer Hill and I understand that nine residents have been affected,” he said.
‘Fortunately, many of them have been vaccinated. As far as I understand it, the vaccinations are going relatively well.’
dr. McNulty said he had no information as to why some of the nine elderly residents had not been vaccinated.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, meanwhile, said trends show transmissions taking place in workplaces and households.
Ms Berejiklian said the majority of cases were ‘gratifying’ outside of Sydney’s eight main local government areas.
“We see the virus recirculating in workplaces and homes,” she said.
A nurse receives the Pfizer vaccine at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Vaccination Hub in Sydney in February
Ms Berejiklian said more than 82,000 people in NSW had been vaccinated in the past 24 hours.
“At that rate, we’re vaccinating 500,000 people a week,” she said.
Of the 239 locally acquired cases recorded in the 24 hours to 8 p.m. Saturday, 115 are linked to a known case or cluster – 92 are domestic contacts and 23 are close contacts. The source of infection for 124 cases is under investigation.
There are currently 222 cases of COVID-19 hospitalized in NSW. Of these, 54 are in intensive care, 25 of whom need to be on a ventilator.
There were 87,712 COVID-19 tests reported up to 8pm Saturday night.
Earlier on Sunday, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said authorities would enforce stricter lockdown measures in specific local government areas, despite calls to extend certain rules to all of Sydney.
Health workers conducted more than 87,000 tests in the 24 hours to 8 p.m. Saturday night
In the photo: Two masked women walk their dogs along Bondi Beach on Sunday
The chairman of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Omar Khorshid, called for restrictions on travel within 5 km of home and the wearing of masks outdoors to be extended beyond eight local government areas.
“We’re trying to strike a balance and I think the balance is right,” Hazzard told ABC’s Insiders program on Sunday.
He said when Sydney shut down the northern beaches during an outbreak and the eastern suburbs during this outbreak last year there was a “high level of compliance”.
The lockdown in southwestern Sydney was “more challenging,” he said.
NSW registered its 14th death in this current outbreak on Saturday, a man in his sixties who died at home in southwestern Sydney.
When asked about his previous comments that families in Sydney were coming to hospitals with a Covid-19-infected relative who is ‘not alive but dead’, the minister said he would not comment on the family’s ‘personal circumstances’. .
“All I would say is that there was a widespread infection in the family and no effort was made to go to the health authorities, as I understand it, until it was too late,” Mr Hazzard said.
He said there was a reluctance for large “refugee family groups” where there are few income earners to report to health authorities.
NSW Police were in force on Saturday for a massive operation to prevent a repeat of last weekend’s anti-lockdown protest in the CBD
Sydney and surrounding regions are in lockdown until at least August 28 as health authorities battle to contain the Delta tribe’s virulent outbreak.
Saturday marked the resumption of work for the construction sector after a two-week forced break, with work allowed to resume in unoccupied sites, provided Covid-safe plans are in place.
But the sector is unable to rely on 68,000 workers — or 42 percent of the workforce — from eight municipal areas hardest hit by the city’s coronavirus outbreak.
The state safety regulator said construction sites should expect a visit to ensure they are in compliance with public health regulations.
Meanwhile, an imminent anti-lockdown protest in central Sydney failed to materialize on Saturday.
Police established an exclusion zone around the city between 9am and 3pm after warning taxi and rideshare companies that they would face fines of up to half a million dollars for carrying passengers into the CBD.