Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Coronavirus US: Marcus Stroman from Mets does not choose season

Mets-pitcher Marcus Stroman becomes the team’s second player to abruptly log out of the season over coronavirus fears after designated hitter Yoenis Cespedes retired last week

  • New York Mets-starting pitcher Marcus Stroman became the team’s second high-profile player to drop out of the season abruptly over fears of the coronavirus
  • Designated hitter Yoenis Cespedes withdrew from the season last week
  • Manager Luis Rojas told reporters he was blinded to hear the news of Stroman, who was taken over in a major deal with Toronto last season.
  • Stroman, 29, will become a free agent for the 2021 MLB season
  • The Mets are third in NL East and go to Monday’s game vs. Washington

New York Mets starting pitcher Marcus Stroman became the team’s second high-profile player to abruptly retire from the season over coronavirus fears, following veteran slugger Yoenis Cespedes, who did so last week.

“This is not something I wanted,” Stroman said during a video conference on Monday. ‘This was a collective decision for my family, for our best interests. Being such a competitor, it was incredibly difficult to eventually come to this decision. ‘

Stroman had recently suffered a calf injury, but it was clear when speaking to reporters that his decision was to protect his family from the coronavirus.

Marcus Stroman, starting pitcher from New York Mets, became the team's second high-profile player to quit the season abruptly over fears of the coronavirus

Stroman, 29, had not yet pitched for the Mets this season, but was considered an important part of the rotation and would have been reckoned in the postseason if the Mets reached the playoffs.

Stroman, 29, had not yet pitched for the Mets this season, but was considered an important part of the rotation and would have been reckoned in the postseason if the Mets reached the playoffs.

Marcus Stroman, starting pitcher from New York Mets, became the second high-profile player of the team to unsubscribe from the season due to fear of the corona virus. Stroman, 29, had not yet pitched for the Mets this season, but was considered an important part of the rotation and would have been reckoned in the postseason if the Mets reached the playoffs.

“This eventually became just a collective family decision – something that weighed on me every day,” he said. “I just sat with my family and looked at the possibilities and realized that there are just too many uncertainties, too many strangers to go out.”

Mets manager Luis Rojas told reporters he was blinded to hear the news of Stroman, who was acquired in a major deal with Toronto last season for pitching potential clients Anthony Kay and Simeon Woods Richardson.

Stroman, 29, had not yet pitched for the Mets this season, but was considered an important part of the rotation and would have been counted on in the postseason when the Mets reached the playoffs.

This was the last season of Stroman’s deal, meaning he will be a free agent for the 2021 season. He told reporters on Monday that he has enjoyed his tenure with the Mets.

“Be that as it may, I would of course like to be a part of what they’re going on,” he said, adding “I can’t say enough good things about my time here.”

The Mets already had no pitcher Noah Syndergaard, who had operated on Tommy John in March.

Mets' Yoenis Cespedes smiles as he exits the cage after batting practice at a summer baseball training camp at Citi Field on July 22. He signed out on August 2.

Mets' Yoenis Cespedes smiles as he exits the cage after batting practice at a summer baseball training camp at Citi Field on July 22. He signed out on August 2.

Mets’ Yoenis Cespedes smiles as he exits the cage after batting practice at a summer baseball training camp at Citi Field on July 22. He signed out on August 2.

Reporters had said that Cespedes is not believed to be at any risk

Reporters had said that Cespedes is not believed to be at any risk

Reporters had said that Cespedes is not believed to be at any risk

This is the second surprise for the Mets this month.

On August 2, Cespedes went missing for a game in Atlanta. Ultimately, the organization alleged that Cespedes’ agent reached out to say he had opted out for “ COVID-related reasons. ”

“I am very surprised,” Rojas told reporters. “He and I have had regular talks about playing time, where he would hit the lineup, build him up in the outfield.”

“None of this, so this is definitely a surprise,” he said.

Major League Baseball has postponed 27 games this year due to the coronavirus after outbreaks in the clubhouses of Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals.

Advertisement

.