Australian scientists have made a major breakthrough in a desperate attempt to develop a vaccine for the murderer coronavirus.
Researchers at the University of Queensland are making a quick effort to cure the disease, which has killed more than 2,200 people worldwide.
There are now dozens of Australians suffering from the respiratory disease, of which 47 are on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.
Along with the global Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations rapid response program, Australian researchers have now reached an important milestone in their vaccine effort.
Specialists have been working on a vaccine for coronavirus for weeks, after killing more than 2,200 people worldwide. Scientists work in a laboratory in France
Coronavirus (photo) has infected tens of thousands of people around the world, so far more than 2,200 dead
They are trying to develop the first life-saving vaccine for coronavirus, which has been renamed COVID-19.
The first attempt is now complete and will be tested soon.
“Extensive testing has continued to ensure that the candidate vaccine is safe and creates an effective immune response,” said University Chancellor Peter Hoj.
“But the technology and dedication of these researchers means that the first hurdle has been taken.”
A family wearing face masks to protect themselves against coronavirus arrives at Brisbane Airport (photo) before the travel ban was introduced
A scientist works at the Doherty Institute in Melbourne, Australia (photo) to try and develop a corona virus vaccine
Dr. Keith Chappell, senior researcher and UQ’s School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, said they had used the same technology that had helped develop vaccines for Ebola, MERS coronavirus, and Nipah.
“But this technology is also designed to respond quickly to a currently unknown virus,” Dr. Chappell out.
“We have put together a group of some of Australia’s leading academic institutions, with the aim of reducing the time required for vaccine development from several years to a matter of weeks.”
We work in laboratories around the world, including in Paris (photo)
The disease has infected more than 75,500 in China and another 1,150 people around the world in 27 other countries.
Earlier on Saturday, two more Australians were diagnosed with the deadly virus after being evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Darwin.
The Diamond Princess has been moored in Yokohama since 3 February and more than 630 passengers on the giant ship have caught the corona virus
There are still strict travel restrictions throughout the world. Here, medical staff check passengers for the disease when they arrive from Iran in Najaf, Iraq (photo)
The Diamond Princess (photo) has been moored in Yokohama since 3 February and more than 630 passengers on the giant ship have caught the corona virus
Two people from Victoria tested positive for the infection after being evacuated from the ship and will be sent to hospitals in Victoria.
Two Queensland women aged 54 and 55 also tested positive for the infection on Friday evening after leaving the ship on Thursday and will be flown to a hospital in Brisbane on Saturday for further treatment.
Six Australians tested positive for coronavirus after being taken off the ship.
A 78-year-old man from Western Australia was transferred to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth on Friday. His wife would travel with him, but then be insulated at home for two weeks.
A 24-year-old woman from South Australia has been transferred to Royal Adelaide Hospital.
The boat was quarantined in Yokohama, Japan, for a few weeks after a coronavirus man had been on board and infected dozens of passengers.
There are 19 confirmed cases of corona virus on Australian soil.
Meanwhile, Australia has extended the ban on foreign travelers from China by another week as the number of coronavirus infections and deaths in Hubei province grows.
The ban expires on February 29, but is constantly being considered by the national security committee of the cabinet.
AUSTRALIA WITH THE CORONAVIRUS
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
- Three men, 43, 53 and 35 years old who had recently traveled to China, have confirmed that they have contracted the disease.
- Two flew in from Wuhan, while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, South China.
- They are treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in a stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person who tested positive for the disease in NSW.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew on flight MU749 to Sydney International Airport on January 23 and presented 24 hours later to the emergency department after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese citizen aged fifty will be the first confirmed case of the corona virus in Australia.
- The man flew from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19 on the Southern Southern flight CZ321.
- He is now in quarantine at the Monash Hospital in Clayton in the east of Melbourne.
- A Victorian man in his sixties is diagnosed with the corona virus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center. He was rated good enough to stay at home.
- A woman in her forties has a corona virus.
- She was visiting from China and mainly spent time with her family.
- She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
- A woman in her twenties in Melbourne appears to have the virus
- Two passengers left positively from the Diamond Princess cruise ship test
QUEEN COUNTRY: 5
- Queensland confirms its first case after a 44-year-old Chinese subject was diagnosed with the virus.
- He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- A 42-year-old Chinese woman who traveled in the same Wuhan travel group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.
- The corona virus has been diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He also comes from the travel group where the other Queensland cases came from
- The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists in quarantine on the Gold Coast
- A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with the corona virus of the same travel group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 2
- A Chinese couple in their sixties who arrived from Wuhan in Adelaide to visit relatives confirmed that they have coronavirus.
- It has been confirmed that two Australians have the virus in Wuhan itself. Australia has raised the level of the travel alert to ‘not traveling’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicenter of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
- Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says that unless people are in contact with someone who doesn’t feel well and comes from that part of China, there is no cause for concern.
- From 15 February, 47 Australians are among 219 confirmed coronavirus cases contracted aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.
- Two more Australians on board tested positive after being evacuated to Darwin on February 22
QUEEN COUNTRY: 4
- Four Australians test positive for coronavirus after being evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship
- Two Queensland women, 54 and 55 years old, tested positive for COVID-19 and are flown to Brisbane for further treatment.
- Previously, a 78-year-old man from Western Australia was transferred to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth. His wife travels with him but is then isolated for two weeks at home.