Coronavirus Australia: Strict Level 4 Covid restrictions in Adelaide, SA, after humans tested positive

Level Four coronavirus restrictions are being introduced in Adelaide after two people tested positive.

An 81-year-old Adelaide man has sparked the city’s first Covid fear in months after testing positive following a trip to Argentina with his daughter, who has now also been confirmed to have the virus.

The shock cases prompted Prime Minister Steven Marshall to introduce tough new restrictions, including a ban on indoor eating and mandatory indoor masks.

He appeared at Modbury Hospital in South Australia last weekend with virus symptoms despite 14 days in NSW quarantine on his return to Australia.

The elderly man also spent a further 10 days in a NSW hospital after injuring himself in a fall while in quarantine, before returning to SA on 8 July.

Adelaide Hospital’s emergency room is now closed and locked while a thorough clean-up is underway.

His daughter and grandson are now also in quarantine but have tested negative.

South Australian Prime Minister Steven Marshall (pictured) says the new case will likely lead to tighter local virus restrictions, but officials say they are not considering a major lockdown

The infected man appeared at Modbury Hospital in South Australia last weekend (pictured) with virus symptoms despite 14 days in quarantine in NSW on his return to Australia.

The infected man appeared at Modbury Hospital in South Australia last weekend (pictured) with virus symptoms despite 14 days in quarantine in NSW on his return to Australia.

The alarm also closed the boy’s school. Elizabeth Vale Primary School in Modbury was closed Monday as a precaution, health officials said.

South Australian Prime Minister Steven Marshall says the new case is likely to lead to tighter local virus restrictions, but officials say they are not considering a major lockdown at this stage.

The man had received one dose of vaccine while in Argentina, but the type was unknown, Mr Marshall said.

His daughter and 15 other close contacts have been quarantined, with both the woman and her son testing negative so far.

Other test results are still pending.

‘We are not drawing any conclusions about where this infection comes from. We just don’t know and it’s very early,” Marshall said.

“Our primary concern right now is to quarantine anyone who may have come into contact with this person as soon as possible.”

Mr Marshall said Modbury Hospital’s emergency department remained closed while a risk assessment was being carried out and would open gradually when it was safe to do so.

Some employees have been quarantined.

The Prime Minister said Elizabeth Vale Primary School would also reopen on Tuesday after closing on Monday.

The warning has also closed the boy's school, Elizabeth Vale Primary School in Modbury (pictured) was closed Monday as a precaution, health officials said

The warning has also closed the boy’s school, Elizabeth Vale Primary School in Modbury (pictured) was closed Monday as a precaution, health officials said

Elizabeth Vale Primary School in Modbury (pictured) was closed Monday as a precaution, health officials said

Elizabeth Vale Primary School in Modbury (pictured) was closed Monday as a precaution, health officials said

The school was closed as a precaution while it was checked that the elderly man’s grandson was not present during the two-week holiday period.

Mr Marshall said that despite serious concerns about the new case, people should not panic.

“We are not considering a lockdown at this stage. We don’t want a lockdown if we can avoid it.’

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said officials assumed the man had the Delta variant of the disease, although that has yet to be confirmed.

She said the Delta species were known to “spread like wildfire.”

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said it is very likely that South Australians will be hit by higher COVID-19 restrictions on Monday, but exactly what they would be has yet to be determined.

He said there were no expected changes to boundary rules with people from Victoria, NSW and the ACT currently barred from entering the state.

SA Health has identified four exposure sites in the northeast of the city and has ordered everyone there at these times to isolate for 14 days, notify them and get tested on days one, five and 13.

Modbury: Commonwealth Bank – Tuesday, July 13, 10am-11:15am and Wednesday, July 14, 10:30am-12:15pm

Saint Agnes: Aldi – Tuesday 13 July, 10.20 am to 11.30 am

Hindmarsh: Gaganis Bros – Friday, July 16, 1:00 PM–2:30 PM

Golden Forest: OPSM – Saturday 17 July, 15:00-15:45

.