Coronavirus Australia: Canberra’s lockdown extended to September 17 with 13 new Covid-19 cases

Canberra’s lockdown is extended until September 17 after the area registered a further 13 Covid cases

  • Canberra’s lockdown extended for more than two weeks until September 17
  • ACT registered 13 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, four of which were isolated
  • Seven were linked to known exposure sites and six are still under investigation
  • Territory has thirteen people hospitalized with virus, three are in intensive care
  • Chief Minister said lockdown would be essential to mitigate current outbreak










Canberra’s lockdown is extended until midnight on September 17 to deal with a Covid-19 outbreak.

ACT chief Andrew Barr said the lockdown had proved effective but it was essential to maintain it to mitigate the outbreak.

“It’s a slow process and it will take more time,” Barr told reporters in Canberra on Tuesday.

“We still have disconnected cases in the community.”

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr (pictured) announced Canberra’s lockdown would be extended until September 17 as the area registered 13 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday

Starting next Thursday, a number of changes will be made to the lockdown settings.

A further 13 cases were reported Tuesday, seven of which are related to current exposure sites and six are under investigation.

It brings the total number of active cases in the ACT to 242.

Four of the cases were quarantined for their entire contagious period.

At least eight people were contagious in the community, and the remaining case is still under investigation.

Thirteen people are in hospital, three of whom are in intensive care.

Of Tuesday's 13 reported cases, four were in quarantine during their entire isolation period, seven were linked to known exposure sites and six are under investigation (pictured, pedestrians outside the Canberra Center last week)

Of Tuesday’s 13 reported cases, four were in quarantine during their entire isolation period, seven were linked to known exposure sites and six are under investigation (pictured, pedestrians outside the Canberra Center last week)

Advertisement

.