Conor McGregor’s highly anticipated trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier “is about to reach an agreement on UFC 264 on July 10,” with the Irishman out for revenge after a brutal defeat in his comeback fight earlier this year.
- Conor McGregor’s comeback to the UFC was ruined in January by Dustin Poirier
- The Irishman will get another shot at the American in a trilogy fight this summer
- A deal for McGregor vs Poirier III is about to be confirmed for UFC 264 in July
- Lightweight star Poirier appeared to confirm the date in a tweet over the weekend
- Dana White wants the fight to star in the event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier will meet in the Octagon for the third and final time at UFC 264 on July 10, according to ESPN
Talks of a blockbuster third fight between the pair have been underway since Poirier ruined McGregor’s latest comeback with a shocking KO win in January.
But the Irishman will have a chance to avenge that loss – and ensure he triumphs 2-1 in the trilogy – this summer, with the event likely in Las Vegas.
Conor McGregor (left) and Dustin Poirier (right) are set for a trilogy fight at UFC 264 on July 10
McGregor suffered a crushing defeat in his comeback fight with Poirier on January 23
ESPN claim that while the fight has not yet been fully agreed, an official announcement could be made this week.
McGregor won his first fight with Poirier at £ 145 in 2014, but suffered a second round knockout during the rematch at £ 155 earlier this year.
The trilogy fight is expected to be a five-round main event at £ 155 at UFC 264, and there is hope that fans will attend.
Poirier has his arm raised after he avenged his defeat to McGregor in 2014 at UFC’s Fight Island
UFC President Dana White hopes to host the event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. When asked recently if he thought McGregor vs Poirier would star on the show, White said, ‘I hope so. We all hope so. ‘
Poirier also dropped an important hint that a deal was nearly struck over the weekend, tweeting ‘July 10’ and a diamond emoji in reference to his nickname.
UFC had announced plans to crown a new lightweight champion after Khabib Nurmagomedov confirmed his definitive retirement, but Michael Chandler will face Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.
Poirier took to social media on Sunday evening to seemingly confirm the date for the third fight
UFC chief Dana White is hopeful that McGregor vs Poirier III can headline UFC 264 in Las Vegas
White confirmed that Poirier had the chance to fight for the belt, but turned it down because he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.
The UFC supremo admitted earlier this month that McGregor is his MMA star of choice because ‘the world goes crazy putting on a show’ and claimed the Irishman wasn’t fully focused on Poirier’s January challenge.
White told BT Sport: ‘I don’t know if this is true. I mean, Conor McGregor is the only one who can answer this question.
“I think Conor overlooked Dustin, and (had a mindset) like, ‘let me get through this so I can work on other stuff.’