Dana White Confirms Conor McGregor’s Blockbuster Trilogy Battle With Dustin Poirier Will Take Place In Las Vegas THIS July
- Dana White said Dustin Poirier had the opportunity to go for the UFC lightweight title
- But he has passed the title shot in favor of a third fight against McGregor
- And UFC chief White has praised Poirier for that move, calling him ‘smart’
- Poirier eliminated the Irishman in the second round at UFC 257 in January
UFC president Dana White has confirmed that Conor McGregor is planning a rematch of Dustin Poirier in Las Vegas in July.
Poirier has opted for a trilogy fight with McGregor instead of competing for the lightweight UFC title.
UFC announced plans earlier this week to crown a new 155-pound champion in the wake of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s retirement – and Michael Chandler will face Charles Oliveira for that crown on May 15.
Dustin Poirier wants a trilogy fight with Conor McGregor as they try to settle the score
And White has confirmed that Poirier was offered the opportunity, but instead turned it down because he wanted to seal a third fight with McGregor.
When asked if UFC 264 could possibly take place at the T-Mobile in Vegas, White said, “I hope that’s the plan.”
When pressed on McGregor vs Poirier III, possibly as the card’s headliner, White added, ‘I hope so. We all hope so. ‘
At the UFC 260 pre-fight press conference on Thursday, White praised Poirier for his decision: ‘Dustin wants the rematch [with Conor McGregor]
UFC President Dana White praised Poirier’s decision to take another fight with McGregor
That’s smart. That’s what he should do. He has to take the second chance, fight that fight. It’s a big fight for him.
Kid has worked hard all his life, all his career to be in a position like this. That is the fight you are fighting.
“We’ve been in positions like this before with others who have made the mistake of not taking that fight, and [it was the] biggest mistake of their lives. ‘
Poirier and McGregor are now tied at 1-1, with the American winning the second-round rematch in January via a knockout at UFC 257.
That fight came more than six years since their first fight, which lasted less than two minutes in September 2014 when The Notorious won with the main card at UFC 178.
And now that the trilogy fight continues, it’s scheduled for early July – according to reports in Georgia.
Journalist Giorgi Kokiashvili – who writes for UFC’s official partner in Georgia – posted on Twitter: ‘I don’t want to alarm you, but according to Adjarasport TV and my sources, Poirier vs. McGregor 3 the target for July 10. ”
The news comes after that reports from ESPN earlier this month claimed that all odds of the fight that took place in May have been suppressed after an agreement between the two sides lasted longer than expected.
Poirier defeated McGregor in the January rematch via second round knockout