Connecticut woman confuses dynamite with candles during the blackout

A mother of two tried to light a candle Thursday night at her home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, during a blackout, but lit a dynamite that exploded in her hand and caused serious injuries.

The mother of two children of Connecticut, 30, confuses DINAMITA with a candle during a power outage and leaves her with serious injuries in her hand

  • An unnamed Connecticut woman tried to light a candle on Thursday night
  • The power had gone off during a storm and she was trying to get some light
  • Instead, he lit dynamite that went out in his hand and caused serious injuries
  • No one else was hurt, but a window went out in his house

Associated Press

A 30-year-old Connecticut mother of two mistook a stick of dynamite with a candle during a power outage and suffered serious injuries to her hands.

Bridgeport Fire Chief Assistant Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home at around 9:30 pm Thursday after the power was cut off during a storm.

The dynamite exploded in the woman's hand.

A mother of two tried to light a candle Thursday night at her home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, during a blackout, but lit a dynamite that exploded in her hand and caused serious injuries.

A mother of two tried to light a candle Thursday night at her home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, during a blackout, but lit a dynamite that exploded in her hand and caused serious injuries.

One of her children called 911 and they took her to the hospital.

Her two children and her husband were at home, but no one else was hurt.

Caldaroni says that one of the windows of the house went out.

Firefighters found another explosive device in the home and, as a precaution, evacuated the people in the houses on either side of the woman's residence and called the bomb squad of the state police to remove it.

The woman's name was not released.

"Something we can get out of this is that people should be prepared when we have blackouts, they should have flashlights, light bars, things like that to make sure they can stand being without power for several hours," Bridgeport Fire said. Chief Richard Thode.

Authorities say no charges will be pressed because the family says they did not know the illegal explosives were in their home.

Ad

.