Compare VA Disability Rates Online

Compare VA Disability Rates Online

You served your country with pride. You enlisted because you wanted to make a difference in the world, and you loved your home. You probably didn’t consider the costs you might pay for injuries and illness by serving. 

If you were injured in the line of duty, either with obvious injuries like burns or loss of limbs or through more invisible conditions like PTSD or Gulf War Syndrome, you are entitled to disability payouts from the VA. 

The VA Sets the Rates

If you are just beginning the process of applying for VA disability, you are likely hoping to guarantee that you get the best rate. This makes the process intimidating— you don’t want to make a mistake and end up getting too little. 

If those are your concerns, there is good news and bad news, and they are the same news: the VA sets the rate you will receive, and it doesn’t matter what your source for the rate is, it will be the same. The VA produces a table each year with the base rates for disability and a chart for each of the other mitigating factors that can change your payment. 

This doesn’t mean that everyone gets the same payout. There are many factors that will go into your actual disability payment, and you need to understand each step to make sure that you get the largest payment amount possible. Read on to learn a little more about them.

Determination of Disability

This is possibly the most important part of deciding how much your disability will be. You will see a VA doctor, who will determine the extent of your injuries for the purpose of determining your total level of disability. They will rate each injury with a percentage score. The combination of these numbers will determine your total disability. 

If you disagree with the VA doctor’s determination, you have the right to request a reexamination, either from your personal doctor, or another VA doctor. Once these numbers are accepted, you will move on to the next step.

Calculate Payment

Once you have your determination from the doctor, you will figure out your total percentage of disability. The obvious answer would be that each injury percentage would add together, so if you have four injuries, each at 20 percent, you would have an 80 percent disability, right? 

Wrong. As you know, nothing with government paperwork is that simple. Each injury’s percentage disability is subtracted before factoring the percentage for the next. So in our example, first take away 20 percent, leaving 80 percent ability. Then you take 20 percent of 80, or 16%. Subtract that to leave 64. Then 20% of that, and so on. 

In addition to the confusing way that injuries are factored, there are also qualifiers for your marital status, whether you have children, dependent parents, or if your spouse needs additional care. 

With all of these factors, it is helpful that there are free tools available online to help you. Using a Va disability calculator to get VA disability rates from Berry Law, you can easily figure out your payment by entering in the answers to a few simple questions. This number can then be used for your continued interactions when determining a fair payment from the VA.

Get Help if You Need It

There are a lot of steps to getting your disability payment set up. If you are encountering difficulty along the way, you might need to seek the help of professionals. A disability attorney will have experience in setting up your paperwork and dealing with reexamination requests, appeals, and any other complications that might arise.

In summary, your VA disability rate is set by the VA. using a disability calculator will help you make sure that the VA is treating you fairly. If you need additional help, contact a specializing attorney.