Colton Underwood has revealed in a new interview that his decision to come out as gay last month was partly due to blackmail for explicit photos taken of him visiting a male spa last year.
In a Wednesday cover film with Variety, the 29-year-old reality star – who rose to fame in 2018’s The Bachelorette – spoke at length about his sexuality and his troubled relationship with ex-girlfriend Cassie Randolph, who had to file a restraining order against him last September.
‘I was blackmailed at one point, during my rock bottom and spiral. No one knows I was blackmailed, ”Underwood confessed in the lengthy interview.
The ex-NFL player went on to explain that he secretly visited a male spa in Los Angeles last year, known for his gay clientele, and was subsequently blackmailed with alleged nude photos of himself, although he never saw the evidence himself. .
Speaking: Colton Underwood – who was billed as ‘The Virgin Bachelor’ on the reality series The Bachelorette in 2018 – has revealed he was blackmailed into visiting a gay male spa
The reality star told Variety’s Elizabeth Wagmeister that he went there “just to watch” and “should never have been there.”
He then received an anonymous email from someone claiming to have nude photos of him, and they threatened to ‘take him out’ in the media, prompting Underwood to have a conversation about his sexuality with his publicist, Alex Spieller.
It was Underwood’s virginity that made him famous in Becca Kufrin’s 2018 season of The Bachelorette, clarifying in the interview that he did have sexual experiences with men in their mid-twenties.
Surprise: Last month, Underwood shocked fans of The Bachelor franchise by coming out as gay after dating ex-girlfriend Cassie Randolph on the hit dating show
“I was ‘the Virgin Bachelor,’ but I did experiment with men before I got into The Bachelorette,” he said, confirming that he was still a virgin when he appeared on the ABC show.
“When I say hookups, no sex … I want to make it very clear that I didn’t have sex with a man before that.”
Underwood also revealed that he was on the dating app Grindr under a pseudonym in 2016 or 2017, but no longer has a profile on the service and is currently single.
Underwood admits he was concerned that men he’d had sexual relations with would get out of the woodwork and participate in The Bachelorette “ so I could be straight. ”
New Chapter: Colton reveals in the new interview that he is currently single (pictured above in a shirtless snap he posted to his Instagram last month)
However, his relationship with Cassie Randolph was seemingly troubled as she filed a restraining order against him last year, but later dropped it after they were ‘able to reach a private agreement’.
Randolph has remained largely silent on the matter, although in court documents she claimed that Underwood had stalked her and placed a tracking device on her car.
“I have not physically touched or abused Cassie in any way,” he says in the interview, as he wants to clear the air.
“I never want people to think I’m coming out to change the story, or to polish and not take responsibility for my actions, and now that I have this gay life, I need my past as an honest man.”
Underwood added, “Controlling situations to try to capture some of the direct fantasy I was trying to act out was so wrong.”
He admits that he was in a ‘dark place’ during that time, because he knew that ending the heterosexual relationship would mean facing the truth – that he was gay.
He apologized for his behavior towards Randolph and her family, saying, “It’s not who I am as a person, and it’s not how I carry myself.”
‘If there was anything I could do to take ownership, I would. But also, out of respect for her, I don’t want to go into the details. I want this interview to be the last time I address her because it’s not fair for her to mention her name in articles every time I speak. I’m sorry, and I want her to know that I hope she has the best, most beautiful life. ‘