Clean greasy oven dishes in just 20 minutes without scrubbing or using harsh chemicals
- Mama used two dishwasher tablets to clean baking dishes
- She used boiling water and soaked them
- After 20 minutes, she wipes off the accumulated dirt
A clever mom has come up with a genius method to make greasy and grimy casserole dishes look like new again.
The Sydney woman soaked her dirty casserole dishes in boiling water and two “cheap” dishwasher tablets for 20 minutes.
After this, she poured the water from the basin and ‘gently’ scrubbed off the dirt – leaving them sparkling clean.
The mother said dishwasher tablets are a ‘less toxic’ solution for cleaning trays than harsh oven cleaners.
Many were impressed with the results and eager to try the trick for themselves, while others offered their own easy baking dish cleaning hacks.
Before and after: Mum reveals how she made her baking dishes, caked with grease and grime, look like new again with the help of two ‘cheap’ dishwasher tablets
‘Just a tip. Soak your baking dishes with a few cheap dishwasher tablets. For about 20 minutes,” the mother said in a message to the Mothers who clean Facebook page.
I get mine from Aldi. Pour boiling water until the container is full and scrub gently.’
In the comments she added that she broke the tablets into pieces and spread them out so they could clean the entire drawer and placed one under and one on top of the rack.
The mom said she also uses the hack to clean her oil fryers and stubborn stains on the bottom of her skillets.
“What a great idea, thanks,” one group member replied, and another said, “I’m doing this too and it works wonderfully.”
How to deep clean baking trays caked with stubborn grease and grime
What you need
- Old towel
- Soft sponge or toothbrush
- Cup of detergent, powder or liquid, doesn’t matter (you can also use a tablet, a cup of Napisan or a cup of regular detergent)
- A bathtub or bucket is enough for an oven rack
What must we do
- Place the old towel on the bottom of the bathtub. This prevents the oven racks from damaging the tub. Place the oven racks on top of the towel.
- Insert the stopper into the drain and fill the bath with water, gradually adding the detergent as the bath fills up. You can use both hot and cold water here, but warm water will help loosen any grease while the detergent gets to work. Fill the bath just enough so that the racks are completely submerged in the water.
- Let the oven racks soak overnight or 6-10 hours.
- Once the racks have finished soaking, use a soft sponge to gently lift off any remaining caked-on grease. It should lift easily without scrubbing.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub hard-to-reach areas. Rinse the oven racks thoroughly with cold water and dry them before placing them back in the oven.
SAFETY TIP: This cleaning method can leave the bottom of your bathtub covered in a layer of slippery grease. Be sure to wash your bathtub thoroughly when you’re done!
Many shared their own tricks for cleaning dirty trays, including using Tricleanium concentrated cleaner or washing powder in hot water for those who don’t have a dishwasher.
“Wrap them in al foil with tablet inside and put them in the bathtub and cover with hot water. Soak overnight and the gunk will just brush off,” said one mother.
“I did it with my son’s racks that were almost completely black. It worked wonderfully!’
‘When I’m done with the oven, I turn it off and put the containers of water and a dishwashing tablet in the oven while it cools. Remove and rinse in the morning,” a second explained.
“I put mine in the dishwasher on a hot cycle and most come off. Sometimes there’s just a little bit left that wipes off easily,” added another.