Cities: skylines 2the sequel to Paradox Interactive’s highly successful 2015 city builder is in development and on its way, the publisher announced on Monday during a live stream showcase of upcoming attractions.
News of the sequel headlined a presentation that included expansion and DLC announcements for major strategic mainstays Crusader kings 3 And Europa universalis 4, and an all-new, turn-based strategy game called The Lamplighters League.
A press release after the show said Cities: Skylines 2 would allow players to develop municipalities that “go from a humble village to a bustling metropolis… complete with fully realized transportation and economy systems, a wealth of construction and customization options, and advanced modding capabilities.”
Cities: Skylines 2 will launch in 2023 for PlayStation 5, Windows PC and Xbox Series X, Paradox Interactive said. Developed by Finland-based Colossal Order, the first Cities: Skylines was both a commercial and critical success, easily overtaking Maxis’ SimCity franchise after the disastrous 2013 reboot launch, which ultimately led to that studio’s closure.
As for the other goods announced on Monday:
- The Lamplighters League, from Battletech developer Harebrained Schemes, is a “pulp adventure set in an alternate 1930s,” Paradox said in a statement. In it, players take on a ragtag crew of adventurers battling an evil cabal bent on world domination. Gameplay includes “real-time infiltration, turn-based tactical combat, and managing a growing squad of misfits.” The Lamplighters League and the Tower at the End of the World (the full title) will launch on Windows PC and Xbox Series X later in 2023.
- Life through youfrom Paradox Tectonic, is a “next generation life simulation game” led by Rod Humble, whose credits The Sims And Second Life. A longer look at Life through you is promised to arrive on March 20.
- Crusader kings 3: Tours and Tournaments is the sixth expansion coming to the 2020 game. According to the title, players can organize or observe jousting tournaments and other fighting games in their kingdom, using them to further their political goals, consolidate their power, or exact personal revenge. This expansion promises “dozens of new events”.
- Europa universalis 4: Domination will be the 20th expansion for the global Grand Strategy game, which launched on PC a decade ago. The expansion gives several countries new military units and political estates to manage, plus “dozens of historical events that bring the history of the early modern world vividly to life”.
- Surviving the Aftermath: Rebirth is an upcoming expansion to the 2021 sci-fi colony builder. It will introduce terraforming to the players’ world, giving them “the power to modify and revive the environment for their colonists”.