Catholic church to pay "more than $ 1 million" to the man who was raped as a child in 1982 by a notorious pedophile priest
- Man raped by pedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale at the age of nine and receives $ 1 million
- According to media reports, the church reached a secret settlement with the man
- The church acknowledged responsibility for the abuse in court earlier in September
- The victim's lawyer said her client, known as JCB, was relieved that the case was over
The Catholic Church has reached a secret settlement with a man nine years old when he was raped by productive pedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale.
Lawyer Judy Courtin represented the victim in a civil case at the Supreme Court of Victoria, and confirmed on Friday that a settlement was reached on Thursday.
Dr. Courtin refused to quantify the payout, but several media reports indicated that the church could pay more than $ 1 million in compensation to the man who was raped in a confessional in 1982 in Mortlake, western Victoria.
The Catholic Church has reached a secret settlement with a man nine years old when he was raped by productive pedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale (photo)
The settlement comes after the church admitted to the court earlier in September that it was responsible for the abuse of the victim.
During that admission it was revealed that the late Bishop Ronald Mulkearns was aware of a previous complaint against Ridsdale who sexually abused a child in 1975.
The Diocese of Ballarat admitted that it had not subsequently taken reasonable steps to protect the victim against Ridsdale in the 1980s.
Dr. Courtin said this was the first civil case she was aware of, in which the church had acknowledged public liability before a settlement.
But that admission was won hard, with her team that started the trial in November 2017.
Lawyer Judy Courtin represented the victim in a civil case at the Supreme Court of Victoria (photo), and confirmed Friday that an arrangement was reached on Thursday
"It took us a very long time, and also courage on behalf of the customer," she told AAP on Friday.
"Accountability on behalf of the church is huge and it says a lot about justice."
The lawyer said her client, known only as JCB, was relieved that the case – which he pursued as a tribute to other victims – was over.
"He is very relieved that the church has finally done the right thing, although we had to force them through the courts."
The Diocese of Ballarat admitted that it did not take reasonable steps in the 1980s to protect the victim against Ridsdale (photo)
The settlement was made during a mediation session prior to the trial and means that a trial scheduled for January is canceled.
Dr. Courtin said the case could only be brought forward due to legal changes made to the royal commission for sexual abuse of children in 2016.
"Hopefully it gives courage to other survivors and victims to come forward."
The church has been contacted for comment.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news