Chris Harrison Asked For $25 Million Amid Leaving The Bachelor Because ‘He’s Been Dirty For Nearly 20 Years’
Chris Harrison demanded $25 million as part of The Bachelor’s exit package because ‘he’s been dirty for almost 20 years’
- Source said Harrison was ‘absolutely ready to sue them’ over impeachment
- Host was ‘ready to tell the truth about how things really work there’
- He has evidence of ‘inappropriate behavior on set’ with fights, drug abuse and executives disregarding producer complaints
- Harrison finally left the reality romance franchise on Tuesday
- Exit came four-month racial insensitivity scandal that erupted after a February Extra interview with The Bachelorette alum Rachel Lindsay
Chris Harrison asked for $25 million upon his departure from The Bachelor to quell a potentially nasty battle with ABC.
“Instead of handing them a rose, he was absolutely ready to sue them outlining all the details behind the scenes,” a source said. Page six of the Dallas-born, 49, amid his retirement from the reality romance franchise after 19 years as host.
Harrison finally left the reality novel franchise on Tuesday, about four months after a race-related controversy in which he suggested “a little understanding” towards a contestant who attended a plantation-themed party in 2018.
The latest: Chris Harrison, 49, asked for $25 million on his departure from The Bachelor to quell a potentially nasty battle with ABC. He was caught in Pasadena, California last year
The longtime host of all three Bachelor Nation shows – The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise, “has been dirty for nearly 20 years,” the source told the outlet.
“He knows a lot about inappropriate behavior on set: fights between contestants, misconduct including the use of illegal substances abroad and complaints from producers allegedly swept under the rug by ABC executives,” the source added.
Harrison “was ready to tell the truth about how things really work there — and he has plenty of evidence to back him up,” the source said. “Chris was making $5 million a season and wanted to go $25 million.”
The source added that Harrisons “was The Bachelor all his life, and he wouldn’t let him go,” as “there have been very tough and very heated negotiations going on for weeks.”
Exit: Harrison finally left the reality romance franchise on Tuesday, about four months after a race-related controversy in which he suggested “a little understanding” towards a contestant who attended a plantation-themed party in 2018
Details: The longtime host of all three Bachelor Nation shows — The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and Bachelor in Paradise — has “had dirt for nearly 20 years,” a source told Page Six
Upper ABCs had hoped he would leave “quickly and quietly” in the wake of the racial insensitivity scandal, which erupted after a February Additional interview with The Bachelorette alum Rachel Lindsay.
A second insider said Harrison and the network had struck a deal that was thought to be less than the $25 million total, the outlet reported.
Another wrinkle in the firing process came with Harrison’s hiring of Los Angeles attorney Brian Freedman, who in the past represented Gabrielle Union during her retirement from NBC and America’s Got Talent before the parties reached a settlement; and Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss, the ex-wife of the show’s creator, Mike Fleiss, in their split.
Details: Harrison ‘was ready to tell the truth about how things really work there – and he has plenty of evidence to back him up,’ said a source
Farewell message: Harrison spoke about his departure from the franchise in an Instagram post on Tuesday
“Chris Harrison hired Brian Freedman…which immediately created an aggressive playing field, and the exit negotiations were extremely fraught,” the second source told the outlet. “It was a bunch of emotionally charged men in a room who weren’t happy with each other at all.”
Harrison spoke about his departure from the franchise in an Instagram post on Tuesday.
“I’ve had a really incredible run hosting The Bachelor franchise and now I’m excited to start a new chapter. I’m so grateful to Bachelor Nation for all the memories we’ve made together,” he said. “As my two-decade journey draws to a close, the friendships I’ve made will last a lifetime.”
The insider also said Harrison was also upset about his conversation with Good Morning America’s Michael Strahan in March, who characterized an apology Harrison gave as “a superficial response.”
“Chris wasn’t happy with that interview with Strahan and the way it went,” the source told Page Six. He was not happy with Strahan’s comment at the end of the interview that it was a ‘superficial’ apology. He felt angry and that Strahan was making a bad situation worse.”