Chris Eubank Jr reveals he was offered ‘millions and millions’ to face Conor Benn abroad but says he turned it down because ‘the circumstances weren’t right’ – with his rival making facing a two-year ban for failing drug tests
Chris Eubank Jr has revealed he was offered ‘millions and millions’ to face Conor Benn abroad but said he turned it down because ‘the circumstances weren’t right’.
Eubank Jr and Benn were set to renew an old family feud dating back decades as they would step into the ring in October for a highly anticipated fight.
However, on the eve of the fight, it was revealed by sports mail that the 26-year-old welterweight had twice tested positive for the banned substance clomiphene in the build-up to the fight.
Liverpudlian Liam Smith then surprised the bookmakers by beating Eubank Jr by TKO in the fourth round of their initial meeting in January.
Eubank Jr, 33, has activated his rematch clause with the Manchester Arena fight now set to take place on July 1 after ‘Beefy’ suffered an injury in training.
Chris Eubank Jr revealed he was offered ‘millions and millions’ to face Conor Benn
Eubank Jr and Benn were set to renew a family feud, but Benn tested positive for clomiphene
Eubank said sky sports: ‘I definitely considered fighting Conor Benn next. Because when someone puts millions and millions and millions of pounds in front of you and offers you a fight, you consider it. You don’t just refuse it.
“I was offered a substantial sum to fight Conor Benn overseas and I came to the conclusion that it was not the right time, it was not the right place. Circumstances were not good.
‘No matter how much money you throw at me, things have to be right.
“If things are not going well with Conor right now, and things are not going well with me. I want to have this guy [Smith] come back for what he did and then I can move on.
Benn was charged by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) last month, in a decision that raises the possibility of a two-year ban for his two positive doping tests.
He was provisionally suspended on March 15 by UKAD – preventing him from fighting on any card overseen by the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC).
Following the accusation, Benn will now have to provide evidence in his defense.
Benn has previously refused to hand over a file he used in a closer investigation by the World Boxing Council, citing “pride”.
He has since complied, although it is currently unclear if he will persevere with the allegations of a faulty testing procedure, which were dismissed by the WBC.
Benn maintained his innocence and tried to play down the latest stage in the saga.
Liverpudlian Liam Smith then surprised the bookmakers by beating Eubank Jr by TKO in January
Delaying the rematch, Smith said the problem was “a minor injury” which erupted on more than one occasion, with Eubank giving his blessing for the postponement.
“It’s just an old wound that’s bursting out, but I want to take the time to let it heal so I can get in the ring 100 percent on fight night,” Smith said.
“A 100% Liam Smith beats Chris Eubank Jr every day of the week and twice on Sundays.”
But Eubank Jr hit back: “Liam had the night of his life against me in January, the stars lined up for him in Manchester, and he came away with a big win.
“But lightning doesn’t strike twice. If he has any thought that he can beat me again, so much the better, because it will be his downfall.
The undercard will also see former women’s middleweight world champion Savannah Marshall move up to super middleweight to challenge champion Crews-Dezern for the unified WBO, WBA, WBC and IBF titles.