Chinese Grand Prix to be eliminated on April 19 due to growing fears after the outbreak of the corona virus
- The Chinese Grand Prix is canceled due to fear of the corona virus
- The annual race, scheduled for April 19, would take place in Shanghai
- Shanghai is 500 miles away from Wuhan, where the virus broke out last month
- With a fully packed racing calendar, it remains unclear whether Formula 1 will reschedule
The Chinese Grand Prix has become the newest sporting event that has been the victim of the corona virus.
The bosses of Formula 1 are expected to confirm in the next 48 hours that the race, scheduled for April 19 in Shanghai, will not take place due to the growing fear of the outbreak.
It remains to be seen whether the race will be stepped up at a later time, but it will not be easy to find space in a full calendar that will count 21 rounds even without Shanghai.
The Chinese Grand Prix in April will be canceled by Formula 1 because of the fear of coronavirus
Virus outbreak accelerated last month in Wuhan, 500 miles from the circuit in Shanghai
Shanghai is 500 miles from Wuhan, where the outbreak began last month. The number of deaths from the virus rose to 1,000 on Tuesday.
All domestic football has been suspended in China, and among the events that have been canceled or postponed are the World Indoor Athletics Championships and Tokyo Olympics qualifying matches for boxing and women’s basketball.
Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton’s chances of finishing his career at Ferrari were handed a big setback on Tuesday night.
The odds that Lewis Hamilton completed his career at Ferrari were canceled on Tuesday evening
At the launch of their 2020 car, Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto claimed that his priority was to stay with Sebastian Vettel as Charles Leclerc’s teammate.
Both Hamilton, the six-time world champion, and Vettel, the four-time winner, no longer have a contract at the end of the season, which begins on March 15 in Melbourne.
Ferrari had previously confirmed their interest in the British superstar and admitted that Chairman John Elkann spoke to him about a move a few months ago.
At their car launch in 2020, Ferrari said they are planning to go with Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel
But on Tuesday Binotto said: ‘Seb is currently our first choice. The (his next contract) is something that we are now discussing with him and we will continue to discuss with him. He is our first choice. ”
Asked if Hamilton, 35, was a fall-back option, Binotto said, “It’s not something we’re considering right now.”
That sounds like music to the existing Mercedes team at Hamilton, who is opening a contract this week about his future.