Chinese Grand Prix on April 19 is postponed due to coronavirus outbreak … but race could be moved later this year
- The Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed due to the corona virus
- The race, scheduled for April 19 in Shanghai, could be moved
- Shanghai is 500 miles away from Wuhan, where the virus broke out last month
- With 21 other races on the calendar, it remains unclear whether F1 can fit
The Chinese Grand Prix has become the newest sporting event to be the victim of the corona virus after Formula 1 confirmed that it has been postponed.
The race, which was to be held in Shanghai on April 19, will no longer continue due to the growing fear of the outbreak.
However, it could be moved later in the year “if the situation improves,” according to an F1 statement.
The Chinese Grand Prix in April has been canceled by the Formula 1 due to angonirus
The virus outbreak started last month in Wuhan, 500 miles from the circuit in Shanghai
The statement said: “The Chinese Grand Prix promoter, Juss Sports Group, officially requested postponement after ongoing discussions with the Federation of Automobile and Motor Sports of the People’s Republic of China (CAMF) and Shanghai Administration of Sports.
“In the midst of continuing health problems and with the World Health Organization declaring the corona virus a global health emergency, Formula 1, together with the FIA governing body, decided to jointly accept the postponement request to ensure the health and safety of traveling staff, championship participants and fans.
“Formula 1 and the FIA will continue to work closely with the teams, race promoter, CAMF and local authorities to monitor the situation as it develops, with all parties considering the feasibility of possible alternative dates for the Grand Prix later in the year. have to study the situation improves. “
It will not be easy to find space in a packed schedule that will still have 21 rounds, even without Shanghai.
The statement went on: “The Chinese Grand Prix has always been a very important part of the F1 calendar and the fans are always incredible.
The race was to be held on April 19 this year at Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai
A lab technician is helping a colleague remove a protective suit in Shenyang on Wednesday
“We are all looking forward to racing in China as quickly as possible and wish everyone in the country the best in this difficult time.”
Shanghai is 500 miles from Wuhan, where the outbreak began last month. The number of deaths from the virus rose to 1,000 on Tuesday.
All domestic football has been suspended in China, and among the events that have been canceled or postponed are the World Indoor Athletics Championships and Tokyo Olympics qualifying matches for boxing and women’s basketball.
Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton’s chances of finishing his career at Ferrari were handed a big setback on Tuesday night.
The odds that Lewis Hamilton completed his career at Ferrari were canceled on Tuesday evening
At the launch of their 2020 car, Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto claimed that his priority was to stay with Sebastian Vettel as Charles Leclerc’s teammate.
Both Hamilton, the six-time world champion, and Vettel, the four-time winner, no longer have a contract at the end of the season, which begins on March 15 in Melbourne.
Ferrari had previously confirmed their interest in the British superstar and admitted that Chairman John Elkann spoke to him about a move a few months ago.
At their car launch in 2020, Ferrari said they are planning to go with Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel
But on Tuesday Binotto said: ‘Seb is currently our first choice. The (his next contract) is something that we are now discussing with him and we will continue to discuss with him. He is our first choice. ”
Asked if Hamilton, 35, was a fall-back option, Binotto said, “It’s not something we’re considering right now.”
That sounds like music to the existing Mercedes team at Hamilton, who is opening a contract this week about his future.