Child bitten by deadly brown snake at childcare center after baby found ‘crawling on’
- Child at child care center being treated after suspected brown snake bite
- Paramedics responded to the Kidz at the Beach child care center Tuesday afternoon.
- The boy was found with two puncture wounds to his hand and a snake nearby.
A young child is feared to have been bitten by a highly venomous brown snake after it was found crawling on the boy in an Australian nursery.
Paramedics responded to the Kidz at the Beach childcare center in Bowen, North Queensland, around 1:35pm on Tuesday.
The boy was reportedly found with two puncture wounds to his hand, with the brown snake measuring about 40cm.
A young child is being treated for a suspected brown snake bite after paramedics rushed to a north Queensland childcare center (file image)
The little boy’s condition is unconfirmed, but brown snakes are considered among the most dangerous in the world.
Fully grown eastern brown snakes can reach up to 2.5 meters, but some species of brown snakes, even juveniles, are considered venomous enough to be deadly.
More to follow.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BITED BY A VENOMOUS SNAKE
The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends the ‘pressure-immobilization’ technique:
– Apply a wide pressure bandage firmly and firmly
– To reduce blood flow and slow the spread of the venom, apply an additional bandage starting at the fingers and toes and covering as much of the extremity as possible.
– Splinting the limb, including the joints on either side of the bite, to restrict movement of the limb
– Keep the bite victim and the limb completely at rest
– Bring transport to the victim if possible
– Transport the victim to medical attention, preferably by ambulance.
– If alone, the victim should apply the pressure immobilization bandage as completely as possible to the bite site and the affected limb and keep it immobile until assistance arrives.
DO NOT wash the stung area or try to suck out the venom:
It is extremely important to preserve traces of poison for use with poison identification kits.
DO NOT incise or cut the bite, or apply a high tourniquet:
Cutting or incising the bite will not help. High tourniquets are ineffective and can be fatal if they come loose.
Source: The Australian Resuscitation Council