Chief health officer admits to being ‘personally SCARED’ of the corona virus that killed thousands of Australians
- Northern Territory Chief Health Officer says he is terrified of the coronavirus
- Dr. Hugh Heggie said he didn’t want thousands of people to die like in Europe
- Dr. Heggie urged locals to continue with social distance and good hygiene
- Here’s how you can help people affected by Covid-19
Northern Territory’s Chief Health Officer says he is personally terrified of the risks that the coronavirus still poses, despite the area’s success in limiting the spread of the disease.
While thanking locals for their efforts to fight the virus in recent weeks, Hugh Heggie said he remains concerned about what could happen if a wave of new infections hit the region.
“I start by saying that I am personally terrified,” said Dr. Heggie on Tuesday.
Dr. Hugh Heggie, Northern Territory’s Chief Health Officer, says he personally fears the risks that the coronavirus still poses, despite the territory’s success in limiting the spread of the disease
“I’m terrified because if we have an outbreak here, we have to be prepared.
“I don’t want to see the terrible damage done elsewhere in the world with lost lives.”
Dr. Heggie urged locals to continue with social distance and good hygiene, saying it was especially important for people who got sick to stay at home.
“This is so important and we’ve seen new waves in countries that actually had good results very early on,” he said.
So far, the territory has only had 30 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and only two of them remain active.
No deaths have occurred.
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 6,970
New South Wales: 3,053
Western Australia: 553
South Australia: 439
Australian Capital Territory: 107
Northern Territory: 29
TOTAL CASES: 6,970
On Friday, the government will lift more restrictions, allowing restaurants, cafes and bars to reopen as long as people buy food.
Contactless sports can start and indoor activities are allowed with a time limit of two hours.
Beauty salons, gyms, libraries and places of religious worship can also be resumed.
Health Minister Natasha Fyles said about 1,000 companies had signed up to reopen and filed COVID-19 security plans.
“They are changing the way their company works. People coming in and out of separate doors, setting their tables at a distance, “she said.
“It’s a big step forward for them.”
The third and final phase on June 5 will remove the two-hour limit for indoor activities, allow the operation of bars and clubs without requiring food, and allow the return of entertainment venues and cinemas.
Team sports such as soccer and netball are also allowed.
Internal border controls restricting access to areas of indigenous communities under the Commonwealth Biosecurity Act will remain in effect until June 18 and possibly longer.
The NT’s border closures with other states also remain in force.