Chelsea transfer news: Blues haven’t made an improved offer from Jules Kunde, says Sevilla chief Monchi
Sevilla chief Monchi confirms Chelsea DO made an offer for defender Jules Kunde but failed to respond with improved terms after it was rejected
- Sevilla chief Monchi has convened a press conference to discuss transfer activities
- He outlined that Chelsea had bid for Jules Koude, but the offer was rejected
- The Blues are according to Monchi. not returned to Seville with revised terms
- A £42.7m fee has reportedly been agreed, but now Sevilla have raised the price
Sevilla chief Monchi has confirmed Chelsea have made an official offer for defender Jules Kunde but have not returned with revised terms after it was rejected.
The manager of the Spanish giants held a press conference on the day of the transfer deadline, in which he revealed that the Blues had submitted an offer which was rejected by Sevilla.
In an extraordinary move, Monchi outlined the exact steps Chelsea had taken before noting how Thomas Tuchel’s side has now gone silent regarding the potential transfer.
Sevilla chief Monchi has confirmed Chelsea have not returned Jules Koude’s second offer
Monchi said: “The only written, formal offer from Chelsea came around 5pm last Wednesday.
“We were not happy with the offer and it was linked to the sale of a player by Chelsea. It was a decent fee, but it didn’t meet our criteria.
“We haven’t spoken to Chelsea since Friday night. We all decided it was best that Jules didn’t travel to Elche. It is normal for players to be affected by news of any kind. Last year he had the interest of City and now Chelsea this year.’
It was reported earlier in the transfer window that the two sides had agreed on a £42.7 million fee and a deal looked imminent.
Koude is currently off on international duty with France as his future remains up in the air
Now, however, rumors have sprung up that Sevilla have increased their asking price to further align it with Koude’s release clause – which Chelsea are unwilling to comply with.
Monchi addressed this topic in his press conference and outlined that the clause has always been the same.
He added: “Kounde’s clause never went up to 90 million euros. It’s always been 80 million (£67 million).’
It is now clear that Sevilla will sanction the sale of Kounde, only if the Blues return with a bid closer to paying the player’s release clause.
It would make Chelsea the top-spending team of the summer in the Premier League, with Tuchel already securing the £98million arrival of Romelu Lukaku.
Chelsea freed up space in defense and raised money by selling Fikayo Tomori to Milan