Chelsea ‘makes plans to LEAVE European Super League’

0

Plans for the European Super League are crumbling as Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are reportedly preparing to withdraw from the breakaway league.

The Premier League duo are two of six English clubs signing up for the exclusive competition and announce their intentions to join Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter, Juventus and Spanish club Real Madrid.

However, amid mounting pressure from fans in response to the news, BBC’s Dan Roan reports that the West London club is preparing to withdraw their support of the plot.

Moments after news of Chelsea’s desire to retire surfaced, The sun report that Manchester City are also planning to leave the £ 4.6 billion plan. Reports have been made about this in Spain Barcelona and Atletico Madrid also withdraw.

Supporters had called on Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich to 'do the right thing'

Supporters had called on Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich to ‘do the right thing’

Plans for a European Super League are crumbling as Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona and Atletico prepare to withdraw from breakaway competition

Plans for a European Super League are crumbling as Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona and Atletico prepare to withdraw from breakaway competition

Barcelona president Joan Laporta says he will leave it to a fan

Atletico Madrid are also reportedly planning to withdraw

The involvement of the Spanish duo in the leading group is up for debate amid reports in Spain

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is said to have made the decision after listening to fans’ protests and opting to pull out of the new plans for the European league.

It is believed that Abramovich’s motivations were never about money, and it is believed that the Blues are now preparing documents to formally withdraw from the match.

It was only thought that Stamford Bridge chiefs had signed up as one of the founders of the Super League in order not to be left behind by the rogue escape.

The pair are two of six Premier League clubs who have signed up for the breakaway

The pair are two of six Premier League clubs who have signed up for the breakaway

However, amid massive backlash in the football world, the pair are reportedly withdrawing

However, amid massive backlash in the football world, the pair are reportedly withdrawing

Supporters gathered at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday in protest against the European Super League

Supporters gathered at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday in protest against the European Super League

But after resounding condemnation from across the political and sporting spectrum, Chelsea now appears to have decided to withdraw from the competition – less than 48 hours after it was announced.

Chelsea fans gathered in front of Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night ahead of their Premier League game against Brighton to protest the breakaway.

Blues fans unfurled banners criticizing the club for their decision to join the controversial Super League, calling on Abramovich to ‘do the right thing’.

Dozens of fans sang, dropped blue smoke bombs and marched around the West London grounds as police tried to keep the crowd under control.

Sportsmail understands that Chelsea had set the wheels in motion to withdraw earlier in the day, and that their decision to leave was not a response to the mass protests off the ground.

Reports also suggested that Chelsea’s technical and performance director, Petr Cech, visibly shaken by the protests, went out to talk to some fans. Cech reportedly responded to fans saying, ‘Give everyone time.’

The former Chelsea goalkeeper was also seen urging supporters to let the team bus go through the crowd and to the ground.

Many supporters chose to protest with a group that sang: 'If you love football sit down'

Many supporters chose to protest with a group that sang: ‘If you love football sit down’

The news comes after Sportsmail’s Oliver Holt first reported on Monday night that two unnamed Premier League clubs were starting to become cold feet over plans to form a breakaway league, such was the backlash from fans and pundits.

City boss Pep Guardiola expressed concern about the new league on Tuesday, stressing that it is ‘not a sport’ in response to the protection afforded to the 12 clubs plus three newcomers against relegation.

“It’s not a sport where the relationship between effort and success doesn’t exist,” he said. ‘It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed or it does not matter where you lose.

‘It’s not fair if one team fights, fights, fights at the top and can’t be qualified because it’s only for a few teams.

‘The right people have a duty, a duty, to clarify as quickly as possible, all over the world why these teams are playing and the others are not. Ajax – with four Champions Leagues – why aren’t they there?

‘Everyone makes (decisions for his) own sake. The Premier League looks at his interest, UEFA looks at his. To get to that point, Uefa has failed. They need to communicate and interact earlier. ‘

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was the driving force behind the new league, alongside Arsenal player Stan Kroenke, United player Joel Glazer and Liverpool player John W Henry.

However, Perez’s counterpart Joan Laporta, president of Barcelona, ​​said his club would not join until it was approved by their fans.

Barcelona will not join the Super League until our fans vote for it. It’s their club, so it’s their decision, ”Laporta said via email Transfer News Live.

Perez had claimed all twelve clubs had signed contracts to join the league that would ‘save football’, with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin baffled by the plan to drastically change the football landscape forever.