Beleaguered neurosurgeon Charlie Teo has declared that he will soon leave the country to perform brain surgeries in China, according to the family of one of his patients.
A Professional Standards Committee found Wednesday that surgeries performed by Dr. Teo had “disastrous” results, placing restrictions on the doctor’s record in their decision.
The Committee found that Teo had failed to describe the actual risks of his surgeries, which were described as “experimental”, and was found to have behaved unethically by failing to obtain informed consent from his patients prior to surgery.
Teo has since revealed that he has been given privileges in China and that he will be taking his work to hospitals there.
Charlie Teo has said he will perform brain surgeries in China following adverse findings against him in Australia.
“The fact that they crucified me here didn’t seem to affect their decision, so I’m going to go there to check the facility, make sure they’re okay, they just bought me the latest MRI,” he said. daily telegraph.
Dr. Teo said he chose China because he had “committed to me,” and would also continue to perform occasional surgeries in Europe and parts of Southeast Asia.
Dr. Teo said he was disappointed “but not surprised” by the conditions placed on his practice, however he would “never” accept that he failed to obtain proper consent or lacked empathy for his patients.
‘I’m not guilty of what I’m accused of, I deny what they say I’ve done, they just don’t believe me, so why would I show remorse for something I deny?’ he said.
Meanwhile, the devastated family of one of Teo’s patients, Ellie Middleton, has broken their silence about how Teo’s operation has changed their lives.
Ms Middleton’s sister, Sarah Bone, a Molong hairdresser, told the Sydney Morning Herald that he wanted ‘Charlie Teo to come to our house and take care of my sister for just one day’.
Ellie Middleton was 20 years old when Teo had surgery to remove a brain tumor
In December 2008, Teo told the then 20-year-old and her family that if Ellie were his daughter, she would definitely have the operation to remove her brain tumor that other neurosurgeons had said was inoperable.
The operation was a disaster and for the past 15 years, Ellie has spent her days confined to a wheelchair, requiring 24-hour care.
Her family said she can’t walk, talk or feed herself and is now blind.
“She has no quality of life, none,” her mother Vicki said.
At just seven years old, Ellie had been diagnosed with an astrocytoma, a slow-growing brain tumor that was deemed inoperable due to its location.
Ellie had persuaded her family to take her to Sydney to see the famous neurosurgeon despite the family’s misgivings about his ability to operate successfully.
“I remember Charlie said, if it was my daughter, I’d do the operation,” Ellie’s sister said.
Teo has hinted that he was considering an appeal against the finding of the investigation that effectively ended his career in Australia.
‘I could appeal, I think I would win. They couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt the things they’ve accused me of because they’re not true, she said.
But I’m not sure I have the strength to file an appeal. Besides, I don’t have the money to do it.
Teo (pictured left with his partner) said he is considering launching an appeal against the committee’s findings.
The Professional Standards Committee found Teo guilty of unsatisfactory professional conduct for an ‘inappropriate’ conversation with a patient’s daughter, an exorbitant fee he charged and other consent complaints.
He was found to have told a patient’s daughter that ‘You’re asking the wrong damn question’ and ‘Would I do it all over again? Damn oath I would. You should be thankful.
Teo appeared before the Medical Professional Standards Committee in February to face complaints that he decided to operate on two patients in whom the risk of surgery outweighed any potential benefit from the operation.
It was also alleged that he failed to obtain informed consent from patients prior to surgery, charged a patient an inappropriate fee of $35,000, and inappropriately spoke to that patient’s daughter after surgery.
In its decision announced Wednesday, the committee said it “found these elements of the complaint to be proven.”
Restrictions have been placed on Teo, including the requirement to obtain written permission from a Medical Board-approved neurosurgeon with at least 15 years of experience as a registered specialist in neurosurgery before performing any ‘malignant intracranial tumor and intracranial tumor surgical procedures’. brainstem’.