WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

Celebrity Apprentice star Vince Colosimo ditches court again in Melbourne for drug driving

Australian actor Vince Colosimo will be charged with driving under the influence of drugs in hopes of avoiding jail time.

The Underbelly star, who has appeared in the latest series Celebrity Apprentice Australia, was due to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court in Melbourne on Thursday, but again failed to show.

Instead, the actor’s lawyer told the magistrate that his client would plead guilty to the charges when the case goes to trial in October.

Australian actor Vince Colosimo (right) thought he could call off his court date in Melbourne while on holiday with girlfriend Sabella Sugar (left) in May

Australian actor Vince Colosimo (right) thought he could call off his court date in Melbourne while on holiday with girlfriend Sabella Sugar (left) in May

Vince Colosimo (pictured at a 2018 Melbourne Cup event) had his car impounded after allegedly being detained by police in St Kilda last April while under the influence of drugs

Vince Colosimo (pictured at a 2018 Melbourne Cup event) had his car impounded after allegedly being detained by police in St Kilda last April while under the influence of drugs

Vince Colosimo was booted by Celebrity Apprentice in May (pictured)

Vince Colosimo was booted by Celebrity Apprentice in May (pictured)

Colosimo’s sentence comes just weeks after he will hit the red carpet for the Australian release of Girl At The Window and the Wog Boy 3.

Wog Boy creator Nick Giannopoulos has announced that the third installment of his hit comedy film series, starring Colosimo, will hit the silver screen in September.

In May, Colosimo was warned that “prison lay ahead” after he chose to leave court over a trip to Paris.

Colosimo had been living the good life with his on-again, off-again girlfriend Sabella Sugar in Europe, where the couple recently attended the Cannes Film Festival.

Sugar hit Instagram just days before her boyfriend’s May appearance to post selfies of them in front of the Eiffel Tower and Arch de Triomphe in Paris.

Colosimo’s attorney George Vassis had hoped to resolve the matter quickly in the absence of his client.

But he was thwarted when prosecutors informed bailiff Leah Hickey that jail time was not out of the question.

In Victoria, bailiffs are empowered to give judgments on minor cases.

Stunned at the prospect, prosecutor Bianca Moleta asked that a magistrate take control of the track.

‘I do have a hard time with it. This case really should be handled in the presence of the accused,” she said.

Colosimo will make a comeback to the big screen with friend Nick Giannopoulos (pictured) in Wog Boy 3

Colosimo will make a comeback to the big screen with friend Nick Giannopoulos (pictured) in Wog Boy 3

Vince Colosimo and Sabella Sugar were enjoying the sights of Paris when he was due to appear in a Melbourne court

Vince Colosimo and Sabella Sugar were enjoying the sights of Paris when he was due to appear in a Melbourne court

Vince Colosimo (pictured leaving court in 2017) was previously told by a magistrate that 'it won't be pretty' if he returns to court over alleged driver's licenses

Vince Colosimo (pictured leaving court in 2017) was previously told by a magistrate that ‘it won’t be pretty’ if he returns to court over alleged driver’s licenses

Colosimo, 55, was charged with driving without a license and drugs last April.

Members of the Prahran Highway Patrol had intercepted his car on St Kilda Road, St Kilda around 2.30pm on Saturday, April 3.

His car was impounded on the spot.

On Thursday, waiting outside the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on William Street, was another Wog Boy 3 cast member in A Current Affair’s Seb Costello, who plays himself in the film.

ACA's Seb Costello to play himself in the latest Wog Boy movie, alongside Vince Colosimo, whom he hoped to 'bounce' on Thursday

ACA’s Seb Costello to play himself in the latest Wog Boy movie, alongside Vince Colosimo, whom he hoped to ‘bounce’ on Thursday

Costello was ready to ‘bounce’ Colosimo over his latest fall from grace, but was forced to crawl into the cold with no recourse.

It will be another scene in October, when Colosimo will have no choice but to appear in court in person.

Colosimo is no stranger to Melbourne courtrooms.

His previous violations of the law over his driving record began in 2014, when he was fined $1,000 without conviction after being caught driving with a suspended license.

Two years later, in 2016, he was arrested with a small amount of drug ice in his car.

Later that year, the actor was fined $3,500 for driving under the influence of the same drug while holding a suspended driver’s license. He was threatened with jail time from a magistrate who warned, “If you’re here for the fourth time, it won’t be pretty.”

Ms Moleta reminded the court of Colosimo’s criminal past during Colosimo’s latest hearing.

“The defendant does have relevant history and a prison sentence is at stake,” she said.

“I didn’t know the accused wouldn’t be here today.”

Vince Colosimo (pictured third left with fellow contestants) appeared in the latest series Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Vince Colosimo (pictured third left with fellow contestants) appeared in the latest series Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Sabella Sugar and Vince Colosimo are having fun in Paris in May.  The Underbelly star faces jail on his return to court

Sabella Sugar and Vince Colosimo are having fun in Paris in May. The Underbelly star faces jail on his return to court

COLOSIMO’S PRISON ALERT IGNORED

In 2017, magistrate David Starvaggi told Colosimo that he should not have been on the road and that drug-driving was a basic problem that “even a kindergarten child could understand.”

“You’re building yourself up quite a bit of history here,” he said.

“You’re risking jail time…if you’re here for the fourth time, it won’t be pretty.”

Colosimo had pleaded guilty to drug driving and driving without a license — the very same charges he now faces.

He was fined $3,500 and withdrawn for another five months.

He may not be so lucky this time.

Considered one of Australia’s most recognized actors, Colosimo starred alongside Hollywood heavyweight Leonardo DiCaprio in the 2008 film Body of Lies before going through some rough times.

Colosimo has fought hard over the next few years to rebuild his career with recent roles in the 2018 film The Second and the hugely popular drama Doctor, Doctor.

Colosimo did what he does best again, filming a new chapter in The Wog Boys movie franchise and shooting the movie Girl At The Window, which will also hit big screens worldwide in September.

The actor had been announced as a major draw card on Celebrity Apprentice, which was just about to air when news of his indictment went public.

The father of two was eliminated from the Channel 9 reality show in May, with Lord Alan Sugar firing him after failing to effectively lead his team on an infomercial challenge.

Colosimo told Nine that he learned a valuable lesson during his brief stint on the series.

“I’ve learned that being yourself, being honest and being sincere are the best assets you can have,” he said.

Vince Colosimo (pictured at the Australian Open on January 20) allegedly caught driving under the influence of drugs and without a license behind the wheel

Vince Colosimo (pictured at the Australian Open on January 20) allegedly caught driving under the influence of drugs and without a license behind the wheel

Vince Colosimo in what was probably his biggest role in the original Underbelly series

Vince Colosimo in what was probably his biggest role in the original Underbelly series

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More