Advertisements
The mugshot of father Brian Stanley

Catholic priest is accused of holding a teenager against his will by wrapping him in plastic with tape over his eyes and mouth and locking him up in the concierge of a church in Michigan in 2013

  • Father Brian Stanley, 57, charged with false imprisonment, which takes up to 15 years in prison
  • Stanley is accused of taking a teenager to a concierge at St. Margaret Church in Otsego, wrapping him in plastic and leaving him there for more than an hour
  • Stanley was asked by the boy's family to advise him in the fall of 2013
  • Prosecutors say that the clergyman's actions against the boy were sexually motivated
  • His arrest comes almost a year after files have been seized from the diocese of Kalamazoo
  • Episcopal officials say they reported the incident to the police in 2013 and another in 2017, but no criminal charges were filed
Advertisements

A Catholic priest from Michigan has been accused of wrapping a teenager in plastic and tape and leaving him in a caretaker's living room in a church almost six years ago.

The Attorney General's office said it accused father Brian Stanley, 57, of false imprisonment after discovering information in files seized by Kalamazoo diocese in October 2018.

Prosecutors characterized the actions of the clergy towards the minor as being sexually motivated.

The mugshot of father Brian Stanley

Fr. Brian Stanley, 57, from Michigan, has been accused of a false prison sentence, which takes up to 15 years in prison for allegedly wrapping a teenager in a saran wrap
Advertisements

Fr. Brian Stanley, 57, from Michigan, has been accused of a false prison sentence, which takes up to 15 years in prison for allegedly wrapping a teenager in a saran wrap

Fr. Brian Stanley (left and right), 57, from Michigan, has been charged with false imprisonment for alleged accusation of a teenager in saran wrap

Stanley is accused of leaving the boy bound and alone in the concierge's closet at St Margaret Church in Otsego for more than an hour in the fall of 2013

Stanley is accused of leaving the boy bound and alone in the concierge's closet at St Margaret Church in Otsego for more than an hour in the fall of 2013

Stanley is accused of leaving the boy bound and alone in the concierge's closet at St Margaret Church in Otsego for more than an hour in the fall of 2013

The alleged incident occurred in the fall of 2013 at St. Margaret Church in Otsego and lasted more than an hour before the boy was released.

The Attorney General's office says that the boy's family asked Stanley to advise him.

& # 39; Archdiocese registers show that for decades, Stanley has been engaged in this type of behavior with the binding materials & # 39 ;, says a press release from the Attorney General's office. & # 39; This type of behavior is a sexually motivated crime. & # 39;

Advertisements

Allegedly, Stanley took the victim to the caretaker's closet, wrapped him tightly in saran foil, and used masking tape to secure the plastic and cover his eyes and mouth.

The priest would then bind the boy for more than an hour & # 39; and only & # 39; before he returned and let him go.

& # 39; Because our team continues to reflect on what we previously thought that hundreds of thousands of pages with documents – but now known as millions of pages – have been seized from all seven Michigan dioceses last year , we know this is just the beginning, & # 39; stated the Michigan Attorney Dana Nessel.

& # 39; This is about adopting large-scale institutions that turn a blind eye to victims and ensure that we keep them accountable – that is, we unapologically pursue all individuals who abuse their power to victimize our residents. & # 39;

The Kalamazoo diocese said in a statement on Thursday that the 2013 incident with Stanley and another in 2017 were both reported to the authorities, but the police have never filed a complaint against him.

Prosecutors say that the actions of the clergyman against the victim were sexually motivated
Advertisements

Prosecutors say that the actions of the clergyman against the victim were sexually motivated

Prosecutors say that the actions of the clergyman against the victim were sexually motivated

& # 39; We have placed Father. Stanley on administrative leave from active ministry in January 2017. He stays on administrative leave and is forbidden from public prosecution service, says the diocese. & # 39; We remain steadfast in our efforts to promote better protection and protection for all people, in particular for children and vulnerable adults.

& # 39; We adhere to the 2002 National Charter for the Protection of Young People, which governs everything we do. & # 39;

Stanley & # 39; s bond was set at $ 100,000. If he is convicted of being charged with a crime during the trial, he may be sentenced to 15 years in prison and must register as a sex offender.

Advertisements

57-year-old Stanley was in custody on Thursday and was not immediately available for comment. He comes to court in Allegan, Michigan.

The diocese says it has reported the incident to the Otsego police in time, but no charges have been filed. Stanley has been banned from the public prosecutor since 2017.

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news