Carlo Ancelotti poised to offer Gareth Bale a Real Madrid lifeline as the returning Los Blancos boss mentions Wales’ outcast THREE times at the unveiling as the Italian prepares for second stint at the Bernabeu
- Carlo Ancelotti says he is ready to offer Gareth Bale a lifeline at Real Madrid
- The Welshman has been banned from Los Blancos led by Zinedine Zidane
- However, Ancelotti has said he will give Bale another chance in Spain
- The Welshman played his best football in Madrid under Ancelotti in 2013-14
Carlo Ancelotti is ready to give Gareth Bale another chance at Real Madrid.
During his presentation to begin his second stint as Madrid coach on Wednesday, Ancelotti said he expected Bale to return – and play well – from his loan contract with Tottenham.
“Gareth hasn’t played much in the Premier League, but he did score goals,” Ancelotti said. “He was effective in the last games of the season when he played consistently. I know him well. If he is motivated to play, he can have a great season. I do not doubt.’
Carlo Ancelotti says he is ready to give Gareth Bale a lifeline at Real Madrid this summer
Ancelotti mentioned Bale three times during the press conference after signing a three-year deal with Madrid. Ancelotti counted him among a group of veterans to whom he had ‘strong affection’ from his first stint with the Spanish powerhouse.
He said he expects Bale and other players such as Isco and Marcelo, who had lost their starting roles under Zidane, “will practice hard to show their coach that they want to play for Real Madrid.”
Bale played his best for Madrid during Ancelotti’s first season as leader in 2013-14, when the Wales winger scored goals in the Champions League and Copa del Rey finals to help win both titles.
The Welshman has fallen out of favor in the Spanish capital under former boss Zinedine Zidane
The 31-year-old was loaned to Spurs this season and looked close to an exit
But Bale, once the most expensive signing in the club’s history, later fell out of favor with Zinedine Zidane and was eventually sent back to Tottenham last season.
In London, he had injury problems early in the season and failed to win Jose Mourinho’s confidence. He improved in the second half of the season, scoring 10 of his 11 Premier League goals as of the end of February.
Bale said in March his intention was to go back to Madrid. Ancelotti could facilitate his return to a club whose fans had been arguing with Bale over his inconsistent performances.
Ancelotti, 61, is back in Madrid after securing his release from Everton. He replaces Zidane after the club failed to win the title last season.
However, Ancelotti says Bale will get another chance to shine with Los Blancos
When Ancelotti first arrived in Madrid in 2013, he was on a mission to restore some calm to a club that had seen three exciting campaigns under Mourinho.
Under Ancelotti’s hand, the club overcame the 12-year wait to capture a 10th European Cup. But without titles, club president Florentino Perez fired Ancelotti.
After a brief stint under Rafa Benitez, Zidane took over and led the club to three more Champions League titles and other trophies.
Zidane announced last week that he would not complete his contract and a few days later said in an open letter that the club did not fully appreciate his work. Zidane hinted that the club was leaking information to the media to undermine him.
Bale played his best football under Ancelotti during his debut season with Madrid in 2013-14
So again, the seemingly easygoing Italian has plenty of work to do.
Ancelotti faces several challenges. Ronaldo is long gone and many of the team’s key players are entering the twilight of their careers. Luka Modric and Sergio Ramos are 35, Karim Benzema and Marcelo 33, and Toni Kroos is 31.
Ramos’ immediate future is questionable. The team captain has yet to sign a new contract with his current contract at the end of the month.
Eden Hazard, the club’s most expensive purchase, was also a failure in his two seasons in Spain.
Ancelotti hopes to match the success he achieved during his first stint in the Spanish capital
“Hazard is a top talent who has been hurt by injuries,” said Ancelotti. “I believe he can show his true talent this season.”
Ancelotti insisted he has not yet spoken to the club about the squad composition. But he did guarantee that his side would produce attractive, attacking football that would compete for trophies.
“I’m going to do everything I can to achieve what we’ve done before,” Ancelotti said. “I have a very good memory of my two years here and I think we’re going to repeat that success.”