Canelo Alvarez & # 39; could have eaten contaminated meat that caused him a drug test & # 39; while dining with the former president of the United States Bill Clinton
- Canelo Alvarez may have eaten contaminated meat while dining with Bill Clinton
- The Mexican and the former president of the United States ate together in February at Sonora Grill
- Canelo received a six-month suspension after failing two drug tests this year
- Maintains that it proved positive for clenbuterol after eating contaminated meat
Nathan Salt for Mailonline
Canelo Alvarez may have eaten the contaminated meat that, according to him, made him suspend two doping tests while enjoying a meal with former US President Bill Clinton.
Canelo ate at Sonora Grill in February along with businessman Carlos Slim and Clinton, after they had all seen a baseball in the Mexican hometown of Guadalajara.
On Saturday night, the middleweight will renew his rivalry with Gennady Golovkin in Las Vegas, just seven months after he failed the two-drug test.
Canelo Alvarez (third on the left) could have had contaminated meat while he was with Bill Clinton (third on the right)
The Mexican failed two drug tests in February and had a six-month retroactive suspension
Height: 5 feet 8 inches (173 cm)
Reach: 70.5 inches (179 cm)
KOs: 3. 4
Defeats: 1 (none by KO)
Álvarez twice tested positive for clenbuterol, which earned him a six-month suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
The medium weight sensation maintains that the positive tests were the result of contamination of the beef.
Athletes have had historical problems with clenbuterol in Mexico, where farmers use it to strengthen their livestock.
With speculation over Canelo's guilt dominating the pre-fight talk in Las Vegas, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman revealed to Boxing News how the fighter could have failed the two tests in February.
Canelo presented eight restaurants that he attended regularly during a visit to Mexico. Sonora Grill was visited twice and the first time he saw him eat meat with Clinton.
The president of the WBC, Mauricio Sulaiman, spoke about how eight restaurants were investigated
Gennady Golovkin has criticized his rival in the preparation of his highly anticipated rematch
"We had a list of eight places where he ate," Sulaiman said.
"We can accuse him of being careless and irresponsible, but not of being a cheat." I think the six-month suspension is absolutely fine. We have been consistent.
"If you go to a restaurant and eat a steak, are you to blame?" It's hard to just blame the person. (But) a high-level athlete like Canelo should be more careful.You should have a nutritionist and be more careful. there is a conflict, a thin line, between what is right and what is not. "
But Golovkin, who was involved in a controversial draw with Canelo in the first round, is adamant that his opponent is a "trick" with the trash talk that shows no signs of being left in Las Vegas so far.
The middleweight rematch takes place in Las Vegas this weekend as the old scores will be settled
The initial rematch was shelved after the failed tests and the Kazakh fighter was made to wait to face Canelo once more.
"He is a liar and a cheat," says Golovkin. & # 39; I know what it has become. I have lost respect for him and his team because they have not respected the sport, the public and myself.
& # 39; I really want to beat him. Although it is not personal to me. They are businesses. He ran in the first fight, but if he comes to fight like a Mexican this time I'll knock him out. "