California mom charged with DRAGING daughter, 8, behind car after little girl tried to stop her from drink-driving and kicking cops when they showed up to arrest her
- Erin Garcia, 44, was said to have gotten into her car drunk around 11:30 p.m. on Thursday and her concerned daughter followed her
- “The child grabbed the passenger door handle and told Garcia to stop,” the statement from the Placentia Police Department said.
- The girl was dragged next to the car for about 100 meters before stopping thanks to a bystander who decided to intervene
- Garcia then dragged the bystander who tried to intervene before driving away, it is alleged
- She was eventually taken to Orange County Prison on three charges – assault with a deadly weapon, endangering children and a battery against a police officer
A California mother dragged her eight-year-old daughter behind her SUV after the little girl tried to stop her drunk driving, police say.
Erin Garcia, 44, got into her car drunk around 11:30 p.m. and her daughter followed, worried her mother was too drunk to drive, it is alleged.
“The child grabbed the passenger door handle and told Garcia to stop,” the statement from the Placentia Police Department said.
“Garcia looked at the child and drove off,” it added, noting that she dragged her daughter next to the car for about 100 yards, before stopping thanks to a bystander who decided to intervene.
Erin Garcia, 44, was arrested Thursday night for drink-driving after dragging her eight-year-old daughter and an adult bystander who tried to stop her from driving under the influence – then she kicked the police and handcuffed her.
Officers responded to a call from Garcia’s mother’s home (pictured) about the attack on Orchid Drive in Laguna Niguel at 11:37 p.m. Thursday
The drunk woman then also dragged the bystander before driving away, according to a police press release.
Officers responded shortly afterwards to a call from Garcia’s mother’s home about the Orchid Drive attack in Laguna Niguel.
When they arrived at 11:37 p.m., they found the young girl with “grazes on her legs and feet,” the statement said.
The two victims were taken to a nearby hospital and the girl “was accompanied by her grandmother,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, Garcia hid “in some bushes in the backyard” and as officers tried to arrest her, she resisted and kicked the police.
Posted in a video by ABC7 Garcia is seen being arrested. One hears a cop say, “Ma’am, I can’t feel my thumb.”
Garcia, dressed in a floral skirt and cropped T-shirt, was then taken to the grass where police placed her and handcuffed her.
She looked worse from wear and tear, with her head hanging, and was also filmed being led to a police SUV.
Garcia was eventually taken to Orange County Prison on three charges: assault with a deadly weapon, endangering children and a battery against a police officer.