Buckingham Palace has denied reports that King Charles could be forced to let Prince Harry stay at Kensington Palace the next time he visits Britain.
The dispute stems from alleged tensions surrounding the Duke of Sussex’s role as adviser of state, making him one of seven members of the royal family who can stand in for the king when he is abroad or unwell.
By law, State Counselors, which also include Princess Anne and Prince Edward, are required to have a home in Britain, but California-based Harry is effectively homeless in Britain after being evicted from Frogmore Cottage earlier this year put.
In an attempt to resolve the issue, sources claim that royal courtiers have discussed renting a property on a royal estate to Harry and Meghan.
Royal sources have said this The Sunday times that one option is an apartment at Kensington Palace, where Prince William and Kate have a home and private office. But these suggestions were quickly shut down.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are effectively homeless when they now visit Britain after being evicted from Frogmore Cottage earlier this year
Buckingham Palace has denied reports that King Charles could be forced to allow Prince Harry into Kensington Palace the next time he visits Britain
Royal sources said Prince Harry could eventually take up residence at Kensington Palace, but Buckingham Palace has denied such reports.
A friend of Charles said: ‘The King can see that removing Harry as State Advisor would be seen as an act of antagonism and he does not want to do that.
“If, as a result, a pied-à-terre for his son has to be designated somewhere on the royal estate, that seems reasonable to me.”
Buckingham Palace refuted the idea, telling the newspaper bluntly: “These claims are not true.”
It is believed that the King does not want to dismiss Prince Harry and Prince Andrew as state advisers to avoid escalating tensions within the royal family, as he believes it is unlikely that either will ever have to step into his shoes.
It comes as it emerged Prince Harry was refused a room at Windsor Castle during his fleeting visit to London earlier this month.
The Duke flew to London from the US for the WellChild Awards and asked to stay in Windsor while his father Charles stayed in Balmoral to mark the anniversary of the Queen’s death.
It is believed that he wanted to stay at the castle the next day to visit the Queen’s grave in St. George’s Chapel, but his request was denied.
The prince was told that in future he would have to book in advance if he wanted to stay at a royal residence or visit King Charles while in Britain.
It comes as it emerged Prince Harry was refused a room at Windsor Castle during his fleeting visit to London earlier this month. Pictured: The Duke after leaving St. George’s Chapel, where the Queen was buried earlier this month
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not visit Britain together on their way to the Invictus Games in Germany
King Charles was unable to meet Harry during his fleeting visit as he was at Balmoral with Queen Camilla
The Duke’s office first contacted Buckingham Palace after he confirmed his attendance at the awards ceremony in London and said he would like to see his father and stay with him if possible, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
However, Harry was told that he had to make a formal request.
After sending the specific dates and times of his trip, during which he only had 24 hours in Britain before heading to the Invictus Games in Germany.
The palace explained that the king would be at his Balmoral estate in Scotland, where Harry was welcome, but both parties decided this would be impossible due to time constraints.
After this option failed, Harry asked to stay in Windsor, but due to the short notice this could not be arranged.
Instead, Harry stayed in a hotel for the night. He was allowed to visit the queen’s grave, which he did privately.
Meanwhile, it emerged that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex tried to silence teachers and pupils, some as young as five, from a deprived school during filming for their Netflix documentary.
A non-disclosure agreement was put in place when they attended Public School 123 in New York in 2021, according to email exchanges between the Sussexes’ Archwell Foundation and city officials.
The document stated that those who signed the agreement were not allowed to make “negative” comments about the couple. A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was contacted yesterday for comment.
Buckingham Palace has been contacted by MailOnline for comment.