Teen, 18, complaining of painful knee pain, dies only 48 hours later after doctors sent him home from the hospital THREE times because they could not see that he had a fatal carnivorous disease
- Alex Haes, from Broken Hill, woke up one evening in 2017 with pain in his knee
- His father brought him to the hospital, but doctors could not see that he had an infection
- The young man suffered from a series of hospital blunders and died 48 hours later
- Alex & # 39; tragic story is set on ABC & # 39; s Four Corners on Monday night
Alex Haes, from Broken Hill in the far west of New South Wales, died of an infection
An 18-year-old boy died of an infected toenail after being sent back three times a series of horrific blunders from the hospital.
Alex Haes, from Broken Hill in the far west of New South Wales, woke up one evening in September 2017 with painful pain in his knee.
His father took him to Broken Hill Hospital, but the staff assumed he had a sports injury and was told to come back the next morning for an ultrasound.
He arrived at 8 am and had the ultrasound, but the hospital was so busy that no doctor was available to judge the results.
No one tested Alex's pulse, blood pressure, or temperature, even though he was in a lot of pain.
Alex returned that evening at 6 p.m. to collect his results and was told that he had a possibly torn tendon.
He went home, but the next day he was in unbearable pain and called triple zero.
Alex was told that no ambulances were available and so asked his father to come home from work to take him to the hospital.
When the couple arrived, Alex was in too much pain to walk, but it took the hospital staff 25 minutes to give him a wheelchair so that he could enter the building.
Once inside Alex's condition deteriorated rapidly until he was only semi-conscious and unable to speak coherently.
Doctors discovered that Alex had a deadly carnivorous disease called necrotizing fasciitis, which started in his toenail and caused his kidneys to fail. Pictured: Broken Hill
Doctors discovered that he had a deadly carnivorous disease called necrotizing fasciitis, which started in his toenail and caused his kidneys to fail.
An emergency team was quickly assembled to keep Alex stable before he was flown to a hospital with better facilities where he could be treated.
The nearest hospital was the Royal Adelaide Hospital – but the only available pilot had maximized his flight hours, which are regulated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
Instead, a helicopter should come from Sydney and take Alex there on a five-hour tour.
While it was on its way, Alex fell unconscious and had to be resuscitated.
His terrified mother fled with her son where paramedics fought to keep him stable.
What is necrotizing fasciitis?
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue under the skin and surrounding muscles and organs (fascia).
It becomes the & # 39; carnivorous disease & # 39; mentioned, although the bacteria that cause it do not release meat & # 39; but release toxins that damage nearby tissue.
Necrotizing fasciitis can start with a relatively minor injury, such as a small cut, but it can get worse very quickly and can be life threatening if it is not recognized and treated early.
Alex arrived at Sydney Hospital at 12.50 pm – more than 14 hours since he called an ambulance.
It was too late and he died of cardiac arrest at 2 o'clock in the night.
Alex & # 39; tragic story continues ABC& # 39; s Four Corners on Monday evening in a program on how health care in rural areas.
His parents told the ABC that the hospital system treated their son as if he were worthless.
Doctors involved in Alex's case told the program that his death still haunts them.
Dr. Curry MacDonald, a former pediatrician at Broken Hill Hospital, said his death was “completely avoidable”. used to be.
& # 39; A young man died, primarily from an infected toenail, from the effects of an untreated and common infection, & # 39; she said.
Dr. Benin O & # 39; Donohoe used to work as an anesthetist at the hospital, but stopped because he felt maladministration threatened patient safety.
& # 39; We as a medical profession, we as a health service in New South Wales, we have failed Alex Braes and we have failed his family & he said to the ABC.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted New South Wales Health for comments.
Doctors involved in Alex's case said that his death haunts them to this day
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news