British woman accused of catching up with rape in Cyprus comes to court
British woman accused of claiming gang rape in Cyprus has been judged by & # 39; unreliable witness & # 39; and said that she will be tried because of & # 39; lying & # 39; about the attack
- The 19-year-old is on trial for her claim that she was raped in Ayia Napa
- Defense lawyers claimed that she was forced to withdraw her claim by force
- But a judge rejected that claim today and said the statement was admissible
A British woman will be tried because she allegedly invented a gang rape indictment in Cyprus after a judge today rejected her claim that she had forcibly withdrawn it.
The 19-year-old is on trial for a public indictment for claiming that she was raped by a group of 12 Israeli men in Ayia Napa.
Her lawyers stated that after eight hours she should have signed a withdrawal statement at a police station and without attorneys present.
But Judge Michalis Papathansidi today declared her a & # 39; unreliable witness & # 39; and ruled that the statement is admissible as evidence.
The 19-year-old British accused of having invented a rape claim arrives today with her mother at a Cypriot court while waiting to hear if the charges against her will be withdrawn
The judge today told a packaged courtroom in Famagusta that investigators had acted properly in obtaining the revocation statement.
He said that a welfare officer had been with the woman during her time at the police station and that there was no pressure on her to withdraw the allegation.
The police had always acted within their powers, so the woman had breaks to go to the toilet, watered her and took care of her well-being, the court found.
& # 39; The statement was not taken under pressure or in inappropriate circumstances. No aggression and no promise had been made to her. The statement was given intentionally. I don't find anything suspicious, & the judge ruled.
In addition, the judge rejected evidence from two expert witnesses who had spoken in defense of the 19-year-old.
From a psychologist who said the woman was suffering from PTSD when she signed the statement, her evidence would have been skewed in favor of the suspect.
And evidence from a linguist who said a non-English speaker had written the statement was also rejected by the judge.
The Brit, who hid her face when she arrived at court with her mother, was in the dock today with interpreters who translated from Greek to English.
Judge Michalis Papathansidi must decide whether the Briton (right) was forced under pressure to sign a statement in which the rape claim was withdrawn
Some of the Israeli men who were initially accused of rape are being tried on July 25
After giving his verdict, the judge said that the trial should be continued immediately and refused a plea by defense lawyer Ritsa Pekri for a suspension.
A brief argument followed, in which the judge informed Pekri that the defense team should have been prepared to continue.
The case will now be settled after the withdrawal statement has been settled in a procedure known as a & # 39; process within a & # 39; process.
During four hearings, the British legal team had tried to show that the statement had to be thrown away because it was obtained by force.
The woman's lawyers claimed that the 19-year-old was pressured to sign a statement written by a detective.
Without the withdrawal, there would be no further evidence and the charges would be withdrawn, defense lawyers hoped.
Lawyers for the 19-year old (legal) claim that the statement was obtained under duress after eight hours alone at a police station and without attorneys present
One of the Israeli tourists comes to court on July 26. The Israeli men were arrested on suspicion of rape, but the woman is now accused of inventing the claim
The woman had claimed that she was raped by 12 Israeli men in July in a budget hotel at the Ayia Napa resort.
The twelve suspects were arrested the next day when investigators took DNA samples and seized their cell phones.
A week later, five of the men were released with one of the Israeli men who could prove that he was with his girlfriend at the time of the alleged attack.
The other seven were released when the woman signed the statement that she had made up the claim because she was angry that she had been filmed without her permission.
The police accused her of public calamity and she was detained for a month in prison before being released on bail on condition that she surrender her passport to a stay on the island.
The Justice Abroad campaign group has cost more than £ 30,000 to pay its legal fees, including the services of top QC Lewis Power.
At the last hearing, the teenager was in tears after the last postponement and shouted that she would only stay in Cyprus for two more weeks.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) news