WhatsNew2Day
Latest News And Breaking Headlines

British father reveals the horrific burns he sustained when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket

British father reveals the horrific burns he sustained when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket

  • Graham Tooby said he was signed after his electronic cigarette was set on fire
  • He had been in his Dubai garden when the lithium battery exploded in the vapor
  • Mr. Tooby was permanently injured and had to undergo a skin transplant

These images show the shocking burns that a British man suffered after his e-cigarette was blown up in his pocket.

Graham Tooby, a British photographer and videographer, was permanently scarred for two months after the Dubai incident and unable to work, where he lives with his wife Kathryn and their two boys aged three and six.

Mr. Tooby, 48, had celebrated New Year with friends and family in his garden suddenly submerged in blue flames after the lithium battery exploded in its fume machine.

He told local media: “My brother-in-law threw water over me, but because lithium batteries don’t stop until they run out of energy, it kept burning.”

Graham Tooby in his hospital bed after the injury. “Without warning fireworks came out of my pocket and we all tried to stop it,” he said

The electronic cigarette and battery that exploded. Mr. Tooby said that when he finally managed to take off his pants, he saw that he had a large burn the size of a man's hand at the top of his left thigh

The electronic cigarette and battery that exploded. Mr. Tooby said that when he finally managed to take off his pants, he saw that he had a large burn the size of a man's hand at the top of his left thigh

The electronic cigarette and battery that exploded. Mr. Tooby said that when he finally managed to take off his pants, he saw that he had a large burn the size of a man’s hand at the top of his left thigh

The shocking injury that Graham Tooby sustained after the vape exploded in his pocket

The shocking injury that Graham Tooby sustained after the vape exploded in his pocket

Horrible injuries sustained by Graham Tooby after the vape exploded in his pocket

Horrible injuries sustained by Graham Tooby after the vape exploded in his pocket

Horrible injuries sustained by Graham Tooby after the vape exploded in his pocket

He added: “There was immediate pain and panic and I didn’t really know what to do because it had all happened so suddenly, it was not as if the device had warmed up beforehand, it literally went from zero to blue flames and loud hiss in seconds.

“Without warning fireworks came out of my pocket and we all tried to stop it.”

When he finally managed to take off his pants, he saw that he had a large burn the size of a man’s hand at the top of his left thigh, he revealed, adding that the entire incident had lasted about 30 seconds but so much longer had seemed.

Mr. Tooby said he was lucky to miss his genitals – and feared what would have happened if his pocket had been an inch to the right.

Tooby has been unable to work for two months and now has a permanent scar

Tooby has been unable to work for two months and now has a permanent scar

Tooby has been unable to work for two months and now has a permanent scar

Mr. Tooby said since the incident that he had not smoked or vaporized and added that despite the injuries he was still grateful (photo: the electronic cigarette that exploded)

Mr. Tooby said since the incident that he had not smoked or vaporized and added that despite the injuries he was still grateful (photo: the electronic cigarette that exploded)

Mr. Tooby said since the incident that he had not smoked or vaporized and added that despite the injuries he was still grateful (photo: the electronic cigarette that exploded)

Mr. Tooby said he was lucky that he missed his genitals - and feared what would have happened if his pocket had been an inch to the right

Mr. Tooby said he was lucky that he missed his genitals - and feared what would have happened if his pocket had been an inch to the right

Mr. Tooby said he was lucky that he missed his genitals – and feared what would have happened if his pocket had been an inch to the right

He was rushed to the Rashid hospital by ambulance for burn treatment and then had two more operations in the MedCare hospital by Dr. Jamali.

The doctor – a specialist in reconstructive and plastic surgery – first removed the dead tissue and the infection and then treated an infection from his blood.

Six weeks later he needed a skin transplant from the back of his leg to the front.

Mr. Tooby said since the incident that he had not smoked or vaporized and added that despite the injuries, he was still grateful because, for example, it could have been much worse if he had driven the highway when it happened.

He said that if people really want to use them, they have to make sure that the batteries are not damaged and does not recommend machines where the battery can be replaced by the user rather than by a qualified professional.

Mr. Tooby was also happy that none of the children at the New Year’s party were close to him and actually in bed when the explosion occurred.

.