WhatsNew2Day - Latest News And Breaking Headlines
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

British backpacker is left with flesh on his leg after a SPIDER BITE in Cambodia

British backpacker hangs on his leg after a SPIDERBITE sparked horrific reaction in Cambodia

  • Andrew Hodges, 56, was on a working holiday in Cambodia when he was bitten
  • He said his leg was twice the size of normal and the flesh was starting to peel off
  • Hodges collapsed in the street and was taken to a hospital by a friendly passerby
  • Doctors at the hospital wanted to amputate his leg, so he escaped one morning
  • He prescribed antibiotics and eventually the wounds healed
  • Now he is stranded in Cambodia and has been in debt for drug costs

A British backpacker was left with flesh on his leg after being bitten by a spider in Cambodia.

Andrew Hodges, 56, was working in restaurants in the Southeast Asian country when he was pinched in the leg by a spider. He had only been on the working holiday for three weeks when he was bitten in the middle of the night.

Hodges sustained terrible leg injuries that had doubled his limb size – and even made him hallucinate and collapse.

He woke up in the hospital and said doctors there initially wanted to chop off his leg.

Pictured: Hodge's leg after being bitten by a spider

Pictured: Hodge's leg after being bitten by a spider

Pictured: Hodge's leg after being bitten by a spider

British backpacker Andrew Hodges, 56, was left with flesh on his leg (left and right) after being bitten by a spider in Cambodia

Hodges can be seen in Cambodia as his body fights the effects of the spider bite. He said the poison even made him hallucinate and collapse

Hodges can be seen in Cambodia as his body fights the effects of the spider bite. He said the poison even made him hallucinate and collapse

Hodges can be seen in Cambodia as his body fights the effects of the spider bite. He said the poison even made him hallucinate and collapse

Hodges (pictured before the bite) was working in restaurants in Cambodia when he was smothered by the spider in his leg

Hodges (pictured before the bite) was working in restaurants in Cambodia when he was smothered by the spider in his leg

Hodges (pictured before the bite) was working in restaurants in Cambodia when he was smothered by the spider in his leg

Hodges said he was bitten in 2018, but the injuries caused such horrific problems that he was unable to travel home.

Hodges, from Woking Surrey, said he is now also incarcerated and unable to travel home due to the pandemic.

He said, ‘I suspect it was a spider bite, although I don’t remember it happening.

‘I was acting very strangely according to a neighbor, and my knee on my right leg was apparently twice as big.

It wasn’t until I collapsed in the street that a passer-by found me and offered to take me to the hospital.

‘I was left on a trolley without medication.

After the collapse, Hodges said he woke up in a Cambodian hospital (pictured), where doctors wanted to amputate his leg

After the collapse, Hodges said he woke up in a Cambodian hospital (pictured), where doctors wanted to amputate his leg

After the collapse, Hodges said he woke up in a Cambodian hospital (pictured), where doctors wanted to amputate his leg

‘I was later given two drops and placed on a mat on the floor for treatment, and there I regained consciousness.

‘I got one injection a day and after the fourth day I was told they would chop my leg off.

“I wasn’t very happy with that idea, mainly because I didn’t have any information about what had happened or anything.”

He later decided to flee the hospital in the early hours of the morning – with his leg badly damaged.

He said, “I got a tuk-tuk, went back to the apartment I rented and basically had to treat myself.”

Hodges said he managed to get hold of antibiotics, along with several other drugs he found through an Internet search.

Hodges said it took about eight months for his leg to heal, using over-the-counter antibiotics, and that there are still scars from the wounds. Pictured: Hodge's leg today

Hodges said it took about eight months for his leg to heal, using over-the-counter antibiotics, and that there are still scars from the wounds. Pictured: Hodge's leg today

Hodges said it took about eight months for his leg to heal, using over-the-counter antibiotics, and that there are still scars from the wounds. Pictured: Hodge’s leg today

He said, ‘It took about eight months for it to heal, even though it has not healed now, the lower part of the ankle, because the leg exploded in three places – one below the knee, one at the bite, one on the bone of the ankle. ‘.

Hodge’s savings have been washed away from paying eight months on drugs.

He’s also in debt for failing to pay his £ 200-a-month visa because he couldn’t walk to the Immigration Department.

“I’m stranded anyway because you can’t get out of the country because of lockdown,” he said.

“Even if I could fly, the main reason is the total cost here of what I paid in medical bills and eight months in medicine, all the money I had saved has slowly run away.”

He added, “The spider bite has destroyed my whole life as I knew it and now I have been reduced to poverty and will soon be taking to the streets of Cambodia.”

Hodges hopes his brothers or other family in Woking will contact him to help him.

Advertisement

.