Gunman who killed 51 people in mosque appeals life sentence and convictions after alleging he was ‘subjected to inhumane treatment’
- Australian Brenton Tarrant is appealing his convictions and life sentence
- In 2020, he pleaded guilty to planning and carrying out the 2019 massacre in NZ
- Tarrant was sentenced to life imprisonment with no possibility of parole
Brenton Tarrant is appealing his convictions and life sentence for killing 51 worshipers in the Christchurch Mosques terror attacks.
A spokesman for the New Zealand Court of Appeals confirmed to AAP on Tuesday that Tarrant has appealed his convictions and verdict.
She said no date has been set for a hearing and no grounds for appeal are available.
The Australian man pleaded guilty to planning and carrying out the 2019 massacre and, in a legal first for New Zealand, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.
Mass murderer Brenton Tarrant (pictured) appeals life sentence for killing 51 people in Christchurch Mosques terror attacks
A year ago, human rights lawyer Tony Ellis wrote in a memo to a coroner that Tarrant told him his IOUs had been coerced.
He was also said to have been “subjected to inhuman or degrading treatment while in pre-trial detention, which prevented a fair trial.”
“He sent me about 15 pages of stories about how he had been treated since he was in prison,” Dr. Ellis wrote in the memo.
“He said that because of the way he was treated while awaiting trial and afterwards, it[affected]his will to continue and he decided the easiest way out was to plead guilty.”
Tarrant, who represented himself at his sentencing in August 2020, subsequently relinquished the services of Dr. Ellis.
Police seen at the Linwood Islamic Center in Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday, March 15, 2019 – 51 people were killed after a gunman opened fire on two mosques
The Grafton, NSW, the man’s decision to withdraw his previous pleas and confess to his crimes came as a big surprise and meant the case did not go to trial.
In October last year, Chief Medical Officer Deborah Marshall announced an investigation into the mosque attacks, saying it would allow for an “in-depth investigation into the causes and circumstances of the deaths.”