- Conor Benn returns to the ring on Saturday evening in Florida, USA
- It will mark Benn’s first fight in 17 months following his positive drug test
- The 26-year-old boxer also wants to fight Chris Eubank Jr. in a battle in December
Conor Benn will be back in action on Saturday after his 17 month absence from the ring.
The 26-year-old will face Rodolfo Orozco on the undercard of Richardson Hitchins’ clash with Jose Zepeda in Florida.
Benn was cleared to fight following the ruling of the British Anti-Doping (UKAD) investigation into his failed drug tests last year. However, multiple sources told Mail Sport that both UK Anti-Doping and the British Boxing Board of Control exercised their rights to challenge the decision of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel.
As a result, it remains to be seen whether Benn – who has maintained his innocence and spent ‘hundreds and thousands’ on scientists to clear his name after traces of clomiphene were found in his samples – can currently fight in Britain.
Nevertheless, Benn is clear about fighting abroad and would like to get back into the ring sooner rather than later. Therefore, the Destroyer will be featured on the Hitchins vs Zepeda undercard in Orlando.
Conor Benn (above) returns to action on Saturday’s undercard Richardson Hitchins vs Jose Zepeda after his 17-month absence from the ring
Benn will fight after his time out on the undercard Richardson Hitchins vs. Jose Zepeda
Matchroom announced Benn’s place on the card on Wednesday, with promoter Eddie Hearn tweeting: ‘It’s time. This Saturday…he’s back! @ConorBenn returns this Saturday on a huge card in Orlando, live on @daznboxing’.
Saturday’s fight could serve as a prep fight for Benn ahead of a potential clash with Chris Eubank Jr. in December.
Eubank Jr. and Benn were about to reignite an old family feud dating back decades. They were scheduled to meet in October last year for a highly anticipated match.
However, on the eve of the fight, it was revealed by Mail Sport that Benn had tested positive twice for the banned substance clomiphene in the build-up to the fight.
Both fighters’ promoters attempted to continue the fight, but when lawyers failed to obtain a Supreme Court order, the fight was put on hold, leaving fans somewhat disappointed.
Matchroom confirmed the news, revealing that the fight had been ‘postponed’ and insisting that the Council’s decision to withdraw sanctions was ‘procedurally flawed and without due process’.
However, the pair are expected to face off in the future, with Hearn set to make the revelation The talks about the clash between Benn and Eubank Jr. are already underway for December this year.
Some fans are against the match, but Hearn insists Benn is well within his rights to fight.
When asked how he felt about the criticism surrounding the potential Benn vs. Eubank Jr fight, the Matchroom promoter said: “I don’t know what else to do.
‘He is not suspended. He was never charged. He was never found guilty. What do you want me to do? Say okay, he won’t fight because you’re not happy with it.
Benn’s grudge match with Chris Eubank Jr (left) was halted last year following the failed drug test
“He has gone through every process that has been asked of him and now he has to go through another one. He has been cleared to fight and he could fight as early as two weeks.”
Hearn went on to talk about the importance of Eubank Jr.’s victory. on Liam Smith in the Benn fight. He said: ‘Suddenly Eubank and Benn are bigger than ever again.
‘I texted Kalle Sauerland on the morning of the fight saying: win or lose right. The fact that he won makes the Benn fight mightily.
‘We are in discussions for that fight in December. I’m sure you’ll see that fight as the biggest fight for both of them. Hopefully we can get it over the line.”