Brazilian legend Pele, 81, continues treatment for colon tumor in hospital

Brazilian legend Pele, 81, continues treatment for a colon tumor as hospital confirms three-time World Cup winner ‘is stable and expected to be released in the coming days’

  • Pele has returned to hospital to undergo chemotherapy for a colon tumor
  • The Brazilian, 81, had surgery to remove the tumor earlier this year
  • The hospital said at the time that he would need chemotherapy and he has returned
  • Pele is believed to be in a stable condition and will be released soon


Pele was hospitalized to be treated for a colon tumor, the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo has confirmed, adding that the football legend is in stable condition and will be discharged in the coming days.

The 81-year-old three-time World Cup winner with Brazil underwent surgery to remove a colon tumor in September and was hospitalized for nearly a month.

The hospital said at the time that he would have to undergo chemotherapy and it was confirmed on Wednesday that the Brazilian is “continuing” his treatment.

The Albert Einstein Hospital said Pele is “stable and expected to be released in the coming days.”

Pele’s assistant Pepito Fornos revealed that the 81-year-old is undergoing chemotherapy sessions to treat the tumor found during routine examinations in late August.

Pele was briefly placed in intensive care after surgery on his right colon. He spent the past few months recovering at his home in Guaruja, outside of Sao Paulo.

Pele has returned to hospital to be treated for a colon tumor discovered this year

Brazilian legend Pele was hospitalized earlier this year for surgery on a tumor (pictured in September 2021)

Brazilian legend Pele was hospitalized earlier this year for surgery on a tumor (pictured in September 2021)

Pele's daughter Kely (left) gave fans regular updates on her father's health during his latest visit (pictured in September 2021)

Pele’s daughter Kely (left) gave fans regular updates on her father’s health during his latest visit (pictured in September 2021)

He’s eager to update his fans on his health status since the tumor was discovered, and in October, alongside a photo of himself, his wife Marcia Aoki, doctors and nurses, Pele wrote: “When the path is tough, celebrate every step.” of the journey. Focus on your happiness.

“It’s true that I can’t jump anymore, but in the past few days I’ve been hitting the air more than usual. I am so happy to be home again.

‘I would like to thank the entire team at Albert Einstein Hospital, who made my stay pleasant, with a humane and very warm welcome.

“Thank you also to all of you, who from a distance complete my life with so many messages of love.”

Pelé won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains Brazil’s all-time top goalscorer with 77 goals in 92 games.

Pele has had a series of health problems over the past ten years, especially with his hip, and he can’t walk unaided.

His public appearances were scrapped before the COVID-19 pandemic and he has since made few unnecessary trips outside his home near Santos.

His son Edinho said last year that his father was depressed, something Pele later denied.

Officially, he scored 757 goals in a glittering career – club Santos claims his number was closer to 1,000 – leaving only Cristiano Ronaldo and Josef Biscan on the all-time list.

In addition, he was only recently overtaken as the best international goalscorer in South American history, when Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick for Argentina in their World Cup qualifier last week.

Messi has registered his massive number in 153 caps for Argentina, while Pele has scored his 77 goals in 92 official appearances for Brazil.

Advertisement

.