WhatsNew2Day - Latest News And Breaking Headlines
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Boy, nine, dies from carbon monoxide poisoning while cruising Lake Oklahoma

A nine-year-old boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning while cruising an Oklahoma Lake with his family.

Andy Free fell off the back of the Malibu Skier at Lake Eufaula on June 6; It was initially thought he had drowned before an autopsy revealed deadly gas levels in his system.

Now his mother Cassi is warning others of the dangers of boats, sharing a Facebook post about his death and writing, ‘Andrew has been swimming since he was 2 years old – he was a STRONG swimmer – and yet he didn’t even struggle. Now we know why. ‘

The CDC warns, “Gasoline engines on boats, including onboard generators, produce carbon monoxide (CO), a colorless and odorless gas that can poison or kill someone who inhales too much of it.”

Andy Free finds himself off the back of the boat at Lake Eufaula on June 6

It was initially thought he had drowned before an autopsy revealed deadly gas levels in his system

It was initially thought he had drowned before an autopsy revealed deadly gas levels in his system

Andy Free fell off the back of the boat at Lake Eufaula on June 6; It was initially thought he had drowned before an autopsy revealed deadly gas levels in his system.

Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, 'He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even when moving, provide a rear exhaust. 'I didn't know this. Nobody I know knew this. It's called open-air carbon monoxide poisoning '

Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, 'He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even when moving, provide a rear exhaust. 'I didn't know this. Nobody I know knew this. It's called open-air carbon monoxide poisoning '

Cassi explained how her son got sick, adding, ‘He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even when moving, provide a rear exhaust. ‘I didn’t know this. Nobody I know knew this. It’s called open-air carbon monoxide poisoning ‘

Andy had been enjoying a day out with his family on Lake Eufaula, pictured, when he fell ill

Andy had been enjoying a day out with his family on Lake Eufaula, pictured, when he fell ill

Andy had been enjoying a day out with his family on Lake Eufaula, pictured, when he fell ill

Symptoms include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

Andy had a carbon monoxide level of 72 percent; his two brothers also fell ill with headaches, nausea and dizziness.

Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, ‘He was behind our Malibu skier most of the day. Boats, even when moving, provide a rear exhaust.

‘I didn’t know this. Nobody I know knew this. It’s called open-air carbon monoxide poisoning.

Another friend looked at it and found that it can also happen with other recreational vehicles, such as quadricycles.

‘Our little Andy, our Guy, probably died slowly that afternoon / evening and we didn’t know. He would have been tired. His head was going to hurt.

“Sounds like too much sun after a long, physically exhausting day of wakeboarding, wake surfing and tubing.”

Andy had a carbon monoxide level of 72 percent; his two brothers also fell ill with headaches, nausea and dizziness. Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, 'He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even moving, create a rear exhaust '

Andy had a carbon monoxide level of 72 percent; his two brothers also fell ill with headaches, nausea and dizziness. Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, 'He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even moving, create a rear exhaust '

Andy had a carbon monoxide level of 72 percent; his two brothers also fell ill with headaches, nausea and dizziness. Cassi explained how her son got sick and added, ‘He spent most of the day behind our Malibu skier. Boats, even moving, create a rear exhaust ‘

HOW CAN CARBON MONOXIDE BUILD INTO A BOAT?

The CDC warns: ‘Larger boats, such as houseboats, sometimes have generators that vent to the back of the boat. This vent poses a risk of CO poisoning to people on the aft swim deck or water platform. On larger boats, CO accumulates above the water at the water platform. CO that builds up in the airspace below the aft deck or on and near the swim deck can kill someone in seconds.

Traveling at slow speeds or idling in the water can cause CO to build up in the cabin, cockpit, bridge and aft deck of a boat, or in an open area. Wind from the rear of the boat can increase this build-up of CO.

“By pulling back the back, CO can build up in the cabin, cockpit and bridge when a boat is operated at a high bow angle, is not properly or heavily loaded, or has an opening that sucks in exhaust fumes.”

Cassi said she could have lost all three of her sons, writing in the viral post: ‘Andy was smaller than his brothers.

They moved more on the boat than he did. They were slightly less at risk than their youngest brother.

‘But we could have lost all three of our children that night. As hard as it is to swallow, we were lucky. Fortunately Andy doesn’t have to spend his life on livelihoods. Fortunately his brothers were alive.

“It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.”

A 2014 report found that there have been more than 140 fatalities from boat-related poisoning since 2000.

Cassi said her family owned four registered boats and four registered watercraft, adding, “We have never received any notification of hazardous conditions.”

She wrote: ‘Backseat riders are especially vulnerable at slow speeds and long no-wake zones like the one we had to cross to get back to port.

Andrew crawled onto the back of the boat while we were packing at the dock and passed out and unaware of his impending death.

‘We had no idea that anything unusual was happening.

If he hadn’t fallen over, if he had made it to the car, even if he hadn’t passed the lake, he would have suffered a brain injury so bad that he probably would have died in his sleep on the way home.

Even if he had gone to the ER immediately at that point, he would still have died. No medicine could have saved him on his level. There was nothing that could have been done at this point.

Don’t let Andy’s death be in vain. Educate yourself and inform your friends and family. I don’t want anyone else ever going through what I’m going through. ‘

A 2014 report found that there have been more than 140 fatalities from boat-related poisoning since 2000. Cassi said her family had four registered boats and four registered watercraft, adding, 'We have never received any notification of hazardous conditions.'

A 2014 report found that there have been more than 140 fatalities from boat-related poisoning since 2000. Cassi said her family had four registered boats and four registered watercraft, adding, 'We have never received any notification of hazardous conditions.'

A 2014 report found that there have been more than 140 fatalities from boat-related poisoning since 2000. Cassi said her family owned four registered boats and four registered watercraft, adding, ‘We never received a notification of hazardous conditions.’

Warning others about the dangers of secondhand boats, Cassi shares a Facebook post about his death and writes, 'Andrew has been swimming since he was 2 years old - he was a STRONG swimmer - and yet he didn't even struggle. Now we know why '

Warning others about the dangers of secondhand boats, Cassi shares a Facebook post about his death and writes, 'Andrew has been swimming since he was 2 years old - he was a STRONG swimmer - and yet he didn't even struggle. Now we know why '

Warning others about the dangers of secondhand boats, Cassi shares a Facebook post about his death and writes, ‘Andrew has been swimming since he was 2 years old – he was a STRONG swimmer – and yet he didn’t even struggle. Now we know why ‘

.