Boy, 4, dies after shooting himself in the head with a gun he found in a sofa while his mother and other adults drank and smoked drugs in another room
- The unattended boy discovered the hidden gun Monday night at a home in High Point, North Carolina
- Police said adults were playing cards, smoking marijuana and drinking in a nearby room
- The boy’s mother, Jasmine Fagan, was arrested and charged with child abuse
- Police also arrested homeowner Cindy Gibson-Harris on multiple charges
- Marijuana, cocaine, multiple firearms and marijuana were found in the house, police said
A four-year-old boy found a loaded gun under the pillow of a sofa and shot himself in the head Monday night while adults drank, smoked marijuana and played cards in a nearby room.
Officers from the High Point Police Department in North Carolina arrived at the 800-block home from Worth Street at 9:51 p.m. and found the child on the living room floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
They administered aid and took him to High Point Regional Hospital, where he died of his injuries, according to police.
Mother Jasmine Fagan (left) and homeowner Cindy Gibson-Harris were arrested and taken to Guilford County Jail after Fagan’s unattended son shot himself with a gun he found in a bank
Monday night’s tragic incident took place in High Point, less than 20 miles from Winston-Salem
High Point is about 18 miles southeast of Winston-Salem.
According to a police report, the adults were “eating, playing cards, drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana when the child was left unattended in the living room.”
Two more firearms, multiple firearms accessories, ammunition, marijuana and cocaine were found in the house, police said.
The child’s mother, Jasmine Fagan, 29, was charged with child abuse and held in the Guilford County Jail on $50,000 bail.
Homeowner Cindy Gibson-Harris, 30, was charged with possession of cocaine and maintaining a home for the use of controlled substances.
She was held in jail on $25,000 bail.