& # 39; We are so concerned about what happened today & # 39 ;: Boy, 15, is the first to be hit by a tram on Sydney's new light rail – and authorities fear he's not the last & # 39; zombie pedestrian & # 39; will be
- The 15-year-old boy was hit by the light rail in Moore Park on Friday at 1.30 p.m.
- He walked the tracks while tests were being performed
- The teenager is the first to be hit on Sydney & # 39; s new $ 2.7 billion light rail
- Authorities fear that the boy will not be the last wounded person on the network
A teenager is the first person to be hit by a tram on the new $ 2.7 billion light rail in Sydney and authorities fear that he will not be the last.
The 15-year-old boy was beaten at the corner of Land Road and Anzac Parade in Moore Park in southeast Sydney on Friday at 1.30 p.m.
He was standing on the side of the tracks as the tram approached. He suddenly crossed the lines and was hit head-on.
The teenager was treated on the spot by paramedics before being taken to the Prince of Wales hospital where he was being treated for head injury.
A teenager is the first person to be hit by Sydney & # 39; s controversial $ 2.7 billion light rail, with authorities fearing that he will not be the last
NSW Ambulance & # 39; s acting inspector Scott Larsen told Seven news the incident was a & # 39; very close & # 39 ;.
He said it was a reminder for other pedestrians to stay vigilant and keep up to date with where they are walking.
The transport authorities of New South Wales fear that the teenager is only the first of many people who could be injured if pedestrians use the new light rail network.
Marg Prendergast from Transport Management said that people should be vigilant because trams run in both directions.
& # 39; We are so concerned about what happened today, & # 39; she said.
She warned & # 39; zombie pedestrians & # 39; to look both ways while crossing tracks or to cross at designated intersections. & # 39;
The 15-year-old boy was hit by the light rail on Friday at 1:30 pm on the corner of Land Road and Anzac Parade in Moore Park, southeast Sydney
A commuter walks past the first Light Rail vehicle in Circular Quay on 30 July
The light rail is still in the testing phase in Sydney, but is expected to be fully operational by the end of the year.
Last month, a Transport spokesperson for NSW told Daily Mail Australia that a safety campaign had been started.
& # 39; Transport for NSW reminds all road users to be careful when moving the new light rail corridor. Trams are tested day and night in Randwick.
& # 39; Transport for NSW has had tram safety communication since March 2018. The latest tram safety campaign, & # 39; Heads Up, Play it Safe around Light Rail & # 39 ;, was launched in July 2019 and will be expanded in line with the test program. & # 39;
The construction of the light rail has been plagued with obstacles since the start of construction in 2015
The first stage of the Sydney Light Rail is expected to open in December this year, but will only carry passengers between Randwick and Circular Quay.
The sidelines to Kingsford along the Anzac Parade are by no means complete – early reports from agencies suggest that work could continue until March 2020.
The construction of the light rail has been plagued by a number of setbacks since the start of the work in 2015.
Not only has the construction end date been pushed back by more than 12 months, but more than a billion dollars has been injected into the project.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail