A boy needed a tooth from his skull after being bitten during a football game, doctors revealed.
The unknown 14-year-old went to the hospital five days after the unusual accident and complained about a sharp pain in his skull.
Doctors in Portugal gave him antibiotics to clean up the infected wound on top of his head – but the drugs didn't work.
Scans eventually revealed a foreign body in his skull – 12 days after he first sought hospital treatment.
Surgeons pulled out a tooth that was embedded in the wound, which the doctors described as & # 39; complicated & # 39; described.
A 14-year-old boy needed a tooth from his skull after being bitten during a soccer game. The tooth was finally noticed in scans (photo)
Dr. Teresa Brito and her colleagues at Hospital de São Bernardo, Setúbal, published the story in BMJ Case Reports.
On the competition day the boy was taken to the hospital with a 5 cm cut on the right side of his head.
After attaching the suture, doctors sent the boy home without further investigation.
The boy went to his local A&E five days after the accident with high temperature, sleepiness and a feeling of weakness.
The wound was cleaned and repaired and he received antibiotics that reduced his fever – but only 24 hours.
Eight days after the accident, the boy returned to A&E with persistent pain on his head and pus leaking from the wound.
HOW DANGEROUS ARE HUMAN BIT INJURIES?
According to doctors, human bites are often overlooked when doctors diagnose first aid.
They are especially notorious for the fact that human saliva contains several microbes that can transmit infectious diseases, according to an article in the Journal of Emergencies, Trauma and Shock.
Early treatment, medication to stop the infection and surgical evaluation are essential.
Studies have shown that human bites are more common in men, with the most incidents in people between 18 and 78 years old.
Patients with bite injuries are often intoxicated, which makes obtaining a reliable history and conducting a thorough investigation difficult.
They are also often reluctant to admit the cause of the injury and offer misleading histories.
Human bites cause infections in 10 percent of cases.
Doctors saw an & # 39; inflamed abscess & # 39; and took him to the hospital, where pediatrics could follow him while he was connected to intravenous antibiotics.
On his fourth day in the hospital, doctors ordered a CT scan because the boy was far from recovering.
The doctors suspected he had a bone fracture or osteomyelitis – when the bone gets infected.
But they were surprised to find a strange object in his skull that seemed to be made of calcium or metal.
The next day, surgeons confirmed that it was a tooth. After his removal, the boy was able to go home two days later.
The authors wrote: & # 39; Scalp infection after scalp rupture is a rare occurrence, so it should raise awareness about its etiology.
& # 39; Human bites, as well as foreign bodies, are associated with wound infections and other complications such as osteomyelitis.
& # 39; This case describes a very rare complication after a human biting injury. & # 39;
While the teenager only had what was described as a & # 39; complicated wound & # 39 ;, head wounds are common during the sport.
According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, sport and recreational activities contribute to approximately 21 percent of all traumatic brain injuries in American children and adolescents.
A traumatic brain injury can result from an object piercing the skull and penetrating brain tissue or a blow or shock to the head.
Mild cases can result in a brief change in mental state or consciousness, while serious cases can result in coma or even death.
Biting lesions in humans, also called biting injuries, can cause serious complications if they are not treated properly.
In 2015, doctors at the Queen Victoria Hospital, West Sussex, reported that a teenager had suffered serious damage to his hand after an entire tooth was found.
The 19-year-old had slapped his brother in the face during boxing, but just wathrew his bloody hand under a tap before he went to bed, completely unaware of the embedded tooth.
The next day he was in so much pain that he went to A&E, where he was operated on to remove the tooth, discovered in X-rays.
Doctors said that much of the tissue of the muscles around the tooth that was found between his third finger and his little finger had died.
The tendons of the little finger appeared frayed but largely intact.
. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health