Tim Tszyu undergoes emergency surgery after a dog attack left him with serious injuries – and now the Aussie boxer’s world title defense may be canceled
- Tszyu rushed to the operating room after a dog bite
- Boxer needs surgery on right arm
- Champ’s fight on June 18 is now in doubt
Australian boxing champion Tim Tszyu has been hospitalized after a dog attack over the weekend and his defense of the world title on June 18 on the Gold Coast is now in limbo.
The 28-year-old was rushed to hospital on Sunday and required emergency surgery after his right arm was bitten by a dog.
Tszyu will defend his interim WBO super-welterweight title against Mexican Carlos Ocampo in just three weeks.
It is not yet known if the Aussie will withdraw from the blockbuster fight due to the injury, but it will certainly have serious consequences for his training.
No Limit Boxing CEO George Rose said he believes the fight with Ocampo will still go on.
Tim Tszyu has been hospitalized after a dog attack and could be withdrawn from his first world title defense scheduled for next month
The 28-year-old pug was rushed to hospital and required emergency surgery on his right arm
“Like everyone else, I was shocked and concerned when I first heard the news,” Rose said in a statement.
“It’s certainly not the ideal preparation when a fighter ends up in hospital a few weeks after the world title fight, but the best news at the moment is that Tim is doing well.”
“He has the best and most experienced team around him in world boxing. They have assured me that on June 18th he will be more than ready to take on Ocampo.
“If they’re confident, I’m confident.”
Tszyu’s manager Glen Jennings is also confident that the fight will continue.
The wound was superficial. The postoperative report is all good,” he said.
“There is no question that Tim will be ready and 100 percent healthy and focused to take on Carlos Ocampo on June 18.”
Ocampo is a dangerous opponent, with a record of 34 wins and only two losses against world-class fighters – including undisputed American star Errol Spence jnr.
It is not yet known whether the Aussie will withdraw from the fight with Ocampo due to the injury
The Sydney pug planned for this to be his last fight before his final showdown with the undisputed king of welterweight Jermell Charlo, who has now postponed the reunion fight with the Aussie twice due to an injured hand.
Tszyu’s showdown with Ocampo will be the Aussie’s first time taking on a Mexican – a challenge his father Kostya was accustomed to.
Kostya fought five Mexicans during his storied career and never finished second.
“I don’t have to fight, I want to. I fear no one and will fight anyone,” Tszyu told the Herald earlier this year.
Carlos Ocampo is the perfect test for me at the moment, as his only defeats have been at the top, for titles against the very best.
“Daddy fought five Mexicans and beat them all in his career…I’d like to do the same in my career.”
Tszyu’s showdown with Ocampo will be the Aussie’s first time taking on a Mexican – a challenge his father Kostya was accustomed to
“I’ve actually always admired Mexican boxers and their tough, all-action style. They go for action and come for war, which is exactly what I want him to bring.
“Papa fought five Mexicans and beat them all in his career. He destroyed the greatest Mexican fighter of all time in Julio Cesar Chavez, and I would love to do the same in my career.
“I’ve wanted to fight on the Gold Coast for a long time because I absolutely love it here. I’m excited to make another huge statement with this fight, so don’t blink or I promise you’ll miss it.”
Jermell Charlo has been ordered by the WBO to fight by September 30.