Bourke Street crash survivor Paul Kardis breaks his silence after Zain Khan allegedly knocked him down
A man who suffered a broken neck when he was shot during the deadly Bourke Street rampage says he is “grateful” to have survived the ordeal.
Paul Kardis was walking through Melbourne’s CBD with his brother on Friday evening on his way to the MCG to watch football, when a car drove down the footpath and sent him flying through the air.
Police allege a Toyota driven by Zain Khan crashed into a white Hyundai, then crashed into a gray Mazda at the intersection of Bourke and Russell streets before hitting four other people, including Mr Kardis, on the pavement.
Tragically, the 76-year-old driver of the Hyundai, grandfather and philanthropist John Haasz, died from his injuries sustained on impact. The others were rushed to hospital.
Khan was charged with 10 crimes, including murder.
Speaking from his hospital bed, Mr Kardis said he did not remember what happened after waking up on Saturday “in a daze” and surrounded by medical staff.
He suffered head trauma as well as a broken pelvis and neck.
“Apparently I flew five or six meters in the air when I was hit (by the car),” he told 7News.
“I hope I’m on the road to recovery.”
Mr Kardis will wear a neck brace for six weeks and has been told his body will not be able to support any weight for eight weeks.
“Then hopefully when it gets to three or four months I can start walking again.”
Despite the trauma and pain he suffered, he knows it could have been infinitely worse.
Paul Kardis was crushed in the chaos which left one driver dead and four other drivers in hospital last Friday, suffering a broken neck and a “shattered” pelvis. Pictured: Passers-by helped pedestrians run down Bourke Street
Accused driver Zain Khan is pictured sitting on the bonnet of his car, just meters from the wreckage of John Haasz’s car. Mr. Haasz died instantly
“I’m not bitter about it, I’m very grateful to still be here,” he said.
“It’s not just about me. One person lost his life and three or four others were injured.
READ MORE: Facebook posts from accused driver
A series of bizarre social media posts made by the accused Bourke Street killer have been revealed, including one in which he claimed: “I’m not crazy. even God says so.
Another reading: “Justice will be done.”
One of Zain Khan’s social media posts.
Sadly, Mr Haasz, whose white Hyundai was hit by Khan’s Toyota, died at the scene.
He was only 5 km from his home in Brunswick East when the tragedy occurred on Friday at 6:20 p.m.
Mr Haasz was well known for making charitable donations to the arts and sciences and for championing equality at the University of Melbourne.
He also funded several awards and programs at the university and donated money to Wesley College, the Victorian Opera and the Australian National Academy of Music.
He also donated to the Australian Center for the Moving Image.
In 2008, he donated $100,000 to the University of Melbourne’s Astrophysics Research and Study Group.
The academic funded three physics scholarships worth up to $5,000 each year.
Last year it funded the University of Melbourne’s WISER (Women in Science Emerging Researcher) Awards for 2021 and 2022.
Floral tributes were left for grandfather and philanthropist John Haasz, whose white Hyundai was struck by Khan’s Toyota, killing him.
Khan allegedly hit three pedestrians moments before crashing into two cars, killing a driver.
The sad consequences of the chaos on Bourke Street in Melbourne last Friday evening