WhatsNew2Day - Latest News And Breaking Headlines
Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Boston lawyer on People’s eligible bachelorette list, accused of raping two women

Boston attorney and former district attorney, 49, once named as one of People magazine’s most eligible bachelors, is accused of raping two women after dealing with a string of allegations for 25 years

  • Gary Zerola, attorney and former Massachusetts prosecutor, charged with raping drunk women on Jan. 11
  • At the time, he was out on bail for a sexual assault case in 2016
  • Voted one of People magazine’s most eligible bachelors in 2001, Zerola has a history of rape allegations dating back to 1996
  • Following his latest arrest, prosecutors said two women came forward to accuse Zerola of raping them in the 1990s.
  • Zerola, who worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for a year, was acquitted of rape and attempted rape in 2008

A former Massachusetts district attorney and attorney with a 25-year history of sexual misconduct allegations has been arrested by Boston Police and charged with raping a woman last week.

Investigators said Gary Zerola – once named one of People magazine’s most eligible bachelors – was wanted based on an order from the Boston Municipal Court for night-time rape and burglary.

Zerola, 49, appeared in Boston Municipal Court on Thursday for a danger hearing before Judge Thomas Horgan, who ordered him to be held without bail.

Gary Zerola, 49, a Massachusetts attorney and former prosecutor, has been charged with raping a woman on January 11

Zerola was named one of People magazine's most eligible bachelors in 2001

Zerola was named one of People magazine's most eligible bachelors in 2001

Gary Zerola, 49 (left and right), a Massachusetts attorney and former prosecutor, has been charged with raping a woman on January 11

Zerola appeared at a danger hearing on Thursday and was ordered to be held without bail after prosecutors alleged that he is a danger to society

Zerola appeared at a danger hearing on Thursday and was ordered to be held without bail after prosecutors alleged that he is a danger to society

Zerola appeared at a danger hearing on Thursday and was ordered to be held without bail after prosecutors alleged that he is a danger to society

Prosecutors argued that Zerola poses a threat to the community because he has faced numerous rape allegations since 1996 and was released on bail on a separate rape charge when the most recent attack allegedly took place.

These allegations are very disturbing. What’s worse is that the offense Mr. Zerola was charged with today is said to have occurred while on bail in a previous sexual assault case, ” Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins said in a statement.

At the time of the incident, Zerola had been issued $ 10,000 bail for a 2016 sexual assault case (pictured in his mugshot at the time)

At the time of the incident, Zerola had been issued $ 10,000 bail for a 2016 sexual assault case (pictured in his mugshot at the time)

At the time of the incident, Zerola had been issued $ 10,000 bail for a 2016 sexual assault case (pictured in his mugshot at the time)

In the wake of Zerola’s arrest in connection with the latest case, prosecutors said two women came forward to charge him with rape in the 1990s.

Zerola is being charged in Suffolk Superior Court with the alleged rape of another woman in 2016, having paid $ 10,000 bail in that case.

He has been in custody since turning himself into authorities last week after a warrant was issued in the latest case.

Prosecutors say Zerola met a woman who was intoxicated at a January 11 rally and took her back to her apartment with a friend.

Zerola returned to the residence later that night without the victim’s consent, and she woke up to find him sexually assaulting her, prosecutors said.

At his arraignment last week, Zerola pleaded not guilty to rape and burglary. His lawyer described the allegations against him as “absurd” and “wafer-thin.”

Following his latest arrest, prosecutors said two women came forward to accuse Zerola of raping them in 1990.

Following his latest arrest, prosecutors said two women came forward to accuse Zerola of raping them in 1990.

Zerola, who worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for a year, was acquitted of rape and attempted rape in 2008

Zerola, who worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for a year, was acquitted of rape and attempted rape in 2008

Following his latest arrest, prosecutors said two women came forward to accuse Zerola of raping them in the 1990s. Zerola, who worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for a year, was acquitted of rape and attempted rape in 2008 (right)

Zerola worked as an assistant district attorney in Essex County for a year and two months in Suffolk County in 2000.

A year later, Zerola made People Magazine’s list of America’s Top 50 Bachelors in 2001 for his good looks and work in foster care.

He also had a real story from rags to riches; The youngest of seven children, he was placed in foster care at the age of three after his parents’ relationship ended and his mother fell ill.

Over the next ten years, he shuffled between dozens of foster homes until he was finally placed with a Boston suburban attorney and his wife.

Perhaps inspired by his foster parents, Zerola attended Suffolk University where he studied law and in 2000 opened his own law practice as a criminal defense attorney.

The Boston Globe reported that Zerola was acquitted of rape and attempted rape in Massachusetts in 2008 and that a sexual assault case was dismissed in Florida involving a woman who accused him of raping her at a Miami hotel and taking her virginity.

He is due to appear in court on February 22 in connection with the latest case.

Advertisement

.