Generous bookstore boss forced to shut down business during lockdown digs into his own pocket to pay laid-off workers ineligible for government financial aid
- marking Rubbo is director of Readings Bookstores, based in Melbourne
- Kindly decided to help staff in lockdown who can’t get government support
- Rubbo has agreed to do this because he wants to “take care of the workforce” in difficult times of need
A good-hearted entrepreneur pays fired workers who cannot get government support out of their own pocket during the lockdown.
Mark Rubbo, the director of Readings Bookstores in Melbourne, made the decision after a colleague was approached by a desperate employee.
“One of our employees called my manager and said, ‘Look, I have a small child. I get $20 a week parenting benefits. I am told that I do not have access to these (government) payments. Can you help me?” he told ABC Radio on Thursday morning.
“So we did some research and estimated based on the staff we had to pull out, about 20 percent of them probably don’t have access to support payments.
Entrepreneur Mark Rubbo (pictured) pays laid-off workers who cannot get government support during the Melbourne lockdown out of his own pocket
Mark Rubbo, the director of Readings Bookstores in Melbourne, pays personal staff during lockdown because he wants to ‘look after them’
“So we’ve offered to support them because we want to take care of them.”
Rubbo labeled the JobKeeper program a “wonderful initiative” and would like to see it reintroduced.
“I think it worked really well last year, and as we’re in lockdown again and things are terrible, people feel sad,” he said.
“I’ve always been averse to debt, so I always have a little bit of cash on hand.
“That keeps us going at the moment, but of course it won’t last forever.
‘I also sympathize with my Sydney colleagues who do not receive housing benefits during their lockdown. “These are tough times to run a business.”
In Victoria, 26 new infections with locally acquired coronavirus have been detected in the past 24 hours.
All 26 cases are related to the current outbreak, with only two of those cases in the community while contagious.
It brings the total number of active cases linked to the current Victoria outbreak to 133.
Thursday’s rise is the highest daily rise in Victoria since Sept. 18 last year, when the state was hit by a deadly second wave of cases.
NEW VICTORIAN SITES ON COVID ALERT
Anyone who has visited the following locations during the times listed will be required to isolate for 14 days regardless of a result:
Sunbury, Sunbury Square Medical Center on July 19 from 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
Mildura, Solunar Cafe on July 12 from 2:15 PM – 2:30 PM
Yarra Trams – Route 109 (Glenferrie Rd & Cotham Rd, stop 36 to, Narrak Rd & Whitehorse Rd, stop 51) on July 15 from 3:20 PM – 3:38 PM
Caulfield North, BWS Caulfield North on July 15 from 3:25 PM – 3:50 PM
Craigieburn, TK Maxx Craigieburn on July 15 from 15:15 – 16:40
Anyone who has visited the following locations should isolate themselves until a negative test result is given:
Endeavor Hills, Shell Coles Express Endeavor Hills on July 15 from 16:38 – 16:55
Caulfield North, Woolworths Metro Caulfield North on July 15 from 3:25 PM – 3:50 PM
Narre Warren North, Australia Post Shop – Narre Warren North LPO on July 16 from 12:05 PM – 12:30 PM
Craigieburn, Craigieburn Central on July 15 from 3:00 PM – 6:15 PM
Bentleigh, Coles Bentleigh on July 15 from 6:15 AM – 6:45 AM and July 16 from 6:20 AM – 6:45 AM
Bentleigh, Fifth Chapter on July 15 from 12:50 PM – 1:15 PM
Bentleigh, Rec Xpress 24/7 Fitness on July 15 from 05:00 – 06:40