Bomber Salman Abedi, brother of Manchester Arena, is accused of help
- Hashem Abedi will stand trial on November 5, charged with 22 counts of murder
- His brother Salman Abedi exploded his suicide jacket when music fans left the show
- Abedi traveled to Libya before his brother carried out the attack in May 2017
The younger brother of Salman Abedi, the bomber of Manchester Arena, is on trial in the fall for charges of multiple counts of murder, a court heard yesterday.
Hashem Abedi, 22, will stand trial in Old Bailey on November 5, accused of 22 counts of murder – one for each of the victims of the attack.
He is also accused of one count of attempted murder involving all other victims and one count of conspiracy with his brother to cause explosions.
Hashem Abedi, 22, will stand trial on November 5, charged with 22 counts of murder
Court artist sketch by Elizabeth Cook from Hashem Abedi at the dock at Westminster Magistrates & # 39; Court in London
Abedi is accused of successful and unsuccessful attempts to purchase bomb-making chemicals.
It is also said that he helped buy a Nissan Micra to store device parts and that he made ignition tubes for use in the explosive.
The charges relate to the attack on the Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017, in which 22 people died and 260 were injured, when Abedi's older brother Salman detonated his suicide jacket when music fans left the show.
Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi, pictured, detonated his suicide jacket when music fans left the Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017
Greater Manchester Police has released photos of 22 victims of the Manchester Arena terror attack
Abedi was confronted with Oxford Crown Court yesterday by a video link from HMP Belmarsh in South East London for a preliminary hearing for Mr. Justice Sweeney.
The court has heard that the judge has filed a prosecution request under Article 22 of the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008, which means that Abedi will be interviewed by the police, although he has already been charged.
Mark Dawson appeared for the prosecution, while Richard Wright QC represented the suspect.
Mr. Justice Sweeney said that Mr. Justice Jeremy Baker would chair the trial and a plea and trial preparation will take place on a date to be set at the beginning of October.
Abedi did not introduce any charges and was detained until the next hearing.
The suspect, who was raised in Manchester, traveled to Libya before his 22-year-old brother carried out the attack. He was arrested in Tripoli and extradited to the UK earlier this month.
. [TagsToTranslate] Dailymail