Bizarre X-rays show a & # 039; chain & # 039; in a baby after she had swallowed 36 magnetic balls

X-rays show how 36 magnetic balls make a & # 39; NECKLACE & # 39; in the belly of a baby after the one-year-old had accidentally swallowed it

  • Nameless baby was rushed to A&E in her native China with fever and vomiting
  • Doctors managed to remove the chain during a one-hour operation
  • Baby recovers in the hospital; unclear how intestinal puncture was treated
Advertisements

X-rays show how magnetic balls formed a chain in a baby's gut after she accidentally swallowed it.

The nameless one-year-old from Zhejiang Province in East China was taken to the hospital when she got a fever and started vomiting.

Her family told doctors that she had been taken to a local clinic for an X-ray, which was a & # 39; necklace & # 39; in her gut, the local media says.

An additional scan at the hospital confirmed that the baby had 36 magnetic balls that were put together.

Advertisements

This chain is also said to have pierced two holes in a part of her gut. This can cause bile to leak in the abdomen.

Doctors managed to remove the objects during a one-hour operation. The baby is still recovering in the hospital.

Bizarre X-rays show how 36 magnetic balls formed a chain in the gut of a one-year-old baby after she accidentally swallowed them in Zhejiang Province, East China

Bizarre X-rays show how 36 magnetic balls formed a chain in the gut of a one-year-old baby after she accidentally swallowed them in Zhejiang Province, East China

The nameless baby was rushed to A&E when she got a fever and started vomiting. After an X-ray had confirmed the problem, doctors removed the chain during a one-hour operation

The nameless baby was rushed to A&E when she got a fever and started vomiting. After an X-ray had confirmed the problem, doctors removed the chain during a one-hour operation

The nameless baby was rushed to A&E when she got a fever and started vomiting. After an X-ray had confirmed the problem, doctors removed the chain during a one-hour operation

Dr. Lin Xiaokun (photo), who performed the operation, believes she has swallowed the magnetic balls one by one. This meant it was & # 39; easy for her family not to notice & # 39; that it happened

Dr. Lin Xiaokun (photo), who performed the operation, believes she has swallowed the magnetic balls one by one. This meant it was & # 39; easy for her family not to notice & # 39; that it happened

Advertisements

Dr. Lin Xiaokun (photo), who performed the operation, believes she has swallowed the magnetic balls one by one. This meant it was & # 39; easy for her family not to notice & # 39; that it happened

The baby was taken to the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical University in the city of Wenzhou.

Doctors could not treat the patient, who was subsequently referred to a larger hospital, where she had her second X-ray made.

Dr. Lin Xiaokun, who treated the girl, believes she has swallowed the magnetic balls one by one.

They were then attracted to each other in her gut to form a chain.

WHAT IS A MAGNETIC FIELD AND HOW IS IT MADE?

Advertisements

A magnet is any object that has a magnetic field. It attracts ferrous objects, such as pieces of iron, steel, nickel and cobalt.

Nowadays, magnets are made artificially in different shapes and sizes, depending on the use.

One of the most common magnets – the bar magnet – is a long, rectangular bar with a uniform cross-section that attracts pieces of ferrous objects

A magnetic field is the space around a magnet in which magnetic force is applied.

When a bar magnet is placed in such a field, it experiences magnetic forces.

Advertisements

However, the field remains even if the magnet is removed. The direction of the magnetic field at a point is the direction of the resulting force that acts on a hypothetical North Pole placed at that point.

When current flows into a wire, a magnetic field is created around the wire.

From this it is deduced that magnetic fields are produced by the movement of electrical charges. A magnetic field of a bar magnet is therefore the result of the movement of negatively charged electrons in the magnet.

& # 39; The girl swallowed the magnetic balls one by one or from time to time, & # 39; said Dr. Xiaokun. & # 39; It was not easy to notice the family.

& # 39; Due to the magnetic force, all the swallowed balls attached to each other and damaged the intestine.

Advertisements

& # 39; Especially when balls are stuck between intestines. It causes (an) anabrosis in the intestines. That's why there are two holes in the girl's gut. & # 39;

Anabrosis is the medical term for tissue erosion or ulceration. It is unclear how doctors treated this with the baby.

Dr. Xiaokun, who has dealt with 15 similar cases in the last three years, stresses that parents should not buy these magnetic balls as toys for children under the age of 14; it is too risky & # 39 ;.

A study by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in 2012 showed that since 2009 the number of young children and teenagers taking magnets has increased.

These magnets can often be found on fidget spinners.

The & # 39; educational toy & # 39; is promoted to help people who have difficulty concentrating or fidgeting to relieve nervous energy, such as autism or ADHD patients.

A lawsuit filed by the CPSC in 2014 resulted in the ban on Zen Magnets and a similar product called Buckyballs.

However, in November 2016, the US Court of Appeal for the Tenth Circuit reversed the ruling in favor of Zen Magnets after only Buckyballs ever issued a recall of their products.

The necklace (photo) is also said to have pierced two holes in a part of the girl's gut

The necklace (photo) is also said to have pierced two holes in a part of the girl's gut

The necklace (photo) is also said to have pierced two holes in a part of the girl's gut

Dr. Xiaokun, who has dealt with 15 similar cases in the last three years, stresses that parents should not buy these magnetic balls as toys for children under the age of 14; it is too risky & # 39;
Advertisements

Dr. Xiaokun, who has dealt with 15 similar cases in the last three years, stresses that parents should not buy these magnetic balls as toys for children under the age of 14; it is too risky & # 39;

Dr. Xiaokun, who has dealt with 15 similar cases in the last three years, stresses that parents should not buy these magnetic balls as toys for children under the age of 14; it is too risky & # 39;

. (TagsToTranslate) Dailymail (t) health (t) china

- Advertisement -