Eintracht Frankfurt comes up empty-handed when it comes to recruiting the alleged dream player Dennis Geiger. The 24-year-old midfielder has extended his contract with TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
The Kraichgauer announced the extension of the contract with their home-grown talent until the summer of 2027 on Thursday.
“As a child from the region who grew up in our academy, he stands for identification, passion and loyalty. His contract extension is certainly not an everyday sign of trust for both sides in this business,” said Alexander Rosen, director of professional football at TSG.
Rosen added: “We are very pleased that Dennis has committed himself to his TSG, even in a challenging time.”
Geiger himself was also pleased about his contract extension: “TSG is my sporting home and I want to keep playing football here.”
He added: “I firmly believe that we can still achieve a lot on our common path and I will do everything to do my part.”
Eintracht Frankfurt and Co. get nothing
Geiger joined TSG Hoffenheim in 2009 at the age of eleven. He made his professional debut against Werder Bremen in 2017.
Since then, he has played 98 Bundesliga games for the club, scoring six goals. In addition, the 24-year-old can still show two Champions League and eight Europa League games.
Eintracht Frankfurt is to be regarded as the big loser in poker for Geiger. According to media reports, the Hessians were very interested in a commitment. This transfer is now off the table in view of Geiger’s extension in Hoffenheim.
In addition to Eintracht, other clubs are said to have tried to attract the former U21 international, including Everton FC from the English Premier League and Portugal’s record champions Benfica.